Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: High Alchemy in F2P
PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 11:26 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Lisaz
RS Status: F2P
Hello, people.

Nowadays I was trying to find an item to High Alch and to get some profit from it (no matter how small) in free to play worlds.

The only item I found is Mithril Platebody, but its price with addition of Nature Rune price got a bit higher and I loose 6 gp everytime.

So, maybe, you know another item with which I can spell High Alchemy without losses?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 11:26 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: High Alchemy in F2P
PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 9:24 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
My suggestion would be to work on a production skill to give you the items to alch. If you were to work on smithing for example, whereby you make your own steel platebodies from scratch (using superheat to make your steel bars), you would end up with profit as well as raise another skill at the same time. Slower? Yes. But, in my mind much more efficient use of your time if you want to work on raising more that one skill.

Let's take a look more closely at Steel Platebodies:
High Alch value = 1200 gp
Materials required = 5 steel bars (658 gp ea on G.E. X 5 = 3290 gp) + 1 nature rune for high alching (142 gp ea) = 3432 gp (LOSS of 2232 gp)

So, definitely do not buy steel bars to make and alch steel platebodies. How about we make them?

Smithing 5 steel bars = 5 iron ore (91 gp ea X 5 = 455 gp) + 10 coal (226 gp ea X 10 = 2260) = 2715 gp

O.K. once again buying the supplies on the G.E. still doesn't work.

Question: How long would it take you to mine 5 iron ore and 10 coal? My guess, not long at all. A few minutes at most. Put some time into mining several loads efficiently and all of a sudden things are looking very good. Combined with the fact that the whole exercise of mining the ore, superheating to get the bars, smithing the plates and eventually high alching the product gives you experience in not only magic, but mining and smithing as well. If you further mine your own essence and runecraft your own nature runes, you maximize your profit and you end up with the following formula:

Time spent in game results in xp raised (in several skills at once) + profit.

That's my approach anyway and it's worked very well for me. Not everybody's cup 'o tea I realize.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 9:43 am 
Runite Member

Well this idea is the best, i think, but it takes so much time. Still, the time spent equals the experience you gain in other skills.

By the way, the biggest reason I don't want to do this, because i play in free area, and the mines are full of bots. It is hard to fight against them for coal or even iron ore. And I can not maximize my profit, because I can not make my own nature runes, because I am not a member of this game :).

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 9:55 am 
Chat Moderator

Yes, I agree that it is challenging with the bots. But, you have to keep trying to find a spot that isn't overrun by bots. With respect to nats, yes I forgot about you being f2p. However, if you notice how much a steel bar goes for on the G.E. (658 gp), that's over 4.5 nature runes worth. And, selling a few iron ore or coal to buy nats is also quite economical if you mine them.

I agree f2p has it's challenges with respect to bot competition. That has to be fixed. It's a problem in P2P as well. Just keep trying. You may find a strategy that no one else has ever thought of.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 10:35 am 
Runite Member

I will add you in game, if you don't mind. Maybe we could chat sometime about the game and such.

I figured now, that I will try to gather everything myself.

I do not play this game much, but it is not only about the fastest time to get to a level, it is about spending some time playing a good game :),

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 10:39 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: ggggbabybaby
RS Status: Classic
Clan Name: N/A
Can you do something that'll make you money while you Alch?

For example, if I chose to high alch 1000 mithril platebodies at a 6gp loss per platebodies I know I'd lose 6000gp. It takes me maybe an hour to do 1000 alchs. So what I'd have to do is earn 6000gp from some other source WHILE I'm alching 1000 platebodies and I break even. Personally I'd flip nature runes, infact that 6000gp can be made back in minutes if you're lucky. Buy 1000 more nats while you're alching at 3gp below the recommended price, put them straight back onto the GE for 3gp above recommended price. Voila! You've just made 6gp profit per nature run, and your 6000gp back!

While this doesn't concern you as you're f2p, I'd also consider farming while alching. growing herbs and limpwurts helps me break even while I alch, or even a make a profit.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 10:39 am 
Dragon Member

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 11:03 am 
Chat Moderator

No problem at all if you'd like to add me. Also, please feel free to join the "bitsbytes" friends chat (the in-game RSBandB Community chat). There, you will always find friendly, helpful people. And, you are right, it's best to have fun and not get so worked up about raising your levels quickly. RuneScape isn't going away anytime soon, so I figure neither am I. No rush to level, no pressure.... just work at it day by day with no end in sight, but most importantly: have fun doing it.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 12:41 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
When I get 99 Magic I will post a spreadsheet of all the items I used to get 94-99 magic in f2p, how many of each I used and if they were profitable how much I profited (all of the items I used were no loss or profitable)

PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 1:57 am 
Runite Member

Uncle Dano wrote:
No problem at all if you'd like to add me. Also, please feel free to join the "bitsbytes" friends chat (the in-game RSBandB Community chat). There, you will always find friendly, helpful people. And, you are right, it's best to have fun and not get so worked up about raising your levels quickly. RuneScape isn't going away anytime soon, so I figure neither am I. No rush to level, no pressure.... just work at it day by day with no end in sight, but most importantly: have fun doing it.

I am always there ;)

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 12:25 pm 
Iron Member

RS Name: macbeth
Clan Name: rsbandb
http://www.scape-xp.com/runescape-high-alchemy.html
Although most of the items on this are 100/h buy limits its something you could buy in 6 slots over night and get a few thousand of and make a smal profit to cover your other losses

PostPosted: July 10th, 2011, 10:34 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: JoshAus
Clan Name: Aus Pride
www.alchprices.com is what I use when looking for things to alch.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2011, 10:53 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Acrylix wrote:
http://www.alchprices.com is what I use when looking for things to alch.

Beware, the alch price for rune scimitars is actually 15,360 rather than the 16,500 that it says on the site.