Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Files Becoming Corrupt When Transferring to External HDD
PostPosted: October 12th, 2011, 3:58 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Title is pretty much self explanatory, it tends to happen to large files such as files downloaded through torrents. When I reload the torrents back into Bittorrent from my external hard drive and re-download the corrupted pieces it clears up the problem making me think that it is not a problem with my External HDD or the cable, is it possible that the crappy windows copying system is corrupting my files? Or is something else causing this problem.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 12th, 2011, 3:58 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Files Becoming Corrupt When Transferring to External HDD
PostPosted: October 13th, 2011, 9:09 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Have you checked the SMART data of the drive to see if the drive is losing sectors? If you don't have a program to do this, there's CrystalDiskInfo. You'd want to look at the raw value for reallocated sectors.

Something you could try to solve your problem if the drive is fine is TeraCopy. It replaces the windows copy so you can still use ctrl+c and ctrl+v for files, but it can verify that files were properly moved/copied.

Post subject: Re: Files Becoming Corrupt When Transferring to External HDD
PostPosted: October 14th, 2011, 1:10 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Here is all of the SMART Data, reallocated sectors has a value of 0 but here are the screenshots of all of the SMART data in case you spot a different problem. Sorry for the slow response, school is keeping me busy.
Spoiler for SMART Data 1:

Spoiler for SMART Data 2:

If you don't spot any problems then I will try out terracopy and if that doesn't work I will try a different usb port.
If none of those work I'm going to try re-installing Bittorrent like my dad suggested although I highly doubt that it is the problem.