Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Rating?
5 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
5 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 4
 Post subject: [OSRS] The Grand Exchange 26 Feb 2015
PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 11:28 am 

RS Name: Lord Earth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
runescape.com wrote:
The Grand Exchange

The day has finally come... The Grand Exchange is here! Grab your cash stacks and loot piles, it is time to get trading.

The Grand Exchange

The Grand Exchange is finally here. Head north-west of Varrock to get trading with your fellow Old School players.

We've kept everything about the Grand Exchange as close as possible to the version of the G.E. that most players will be familiar with (excluding a few additional features). In the coming weeks, we'll be polling a selection of your feedback requests. These might be extra buttons and features that we could adapt from RuneScape 3's G.E., or completely new ideas for Old School. So if there is an extra feature you'd really like to see, let us know.

Initial prices

The G.E. has initial prices for all items, largely taken from activity on the old Trading Post and from Zybez's excellent trading guide, among other sources. Players are free to ignore these prices completely, and to offer whatever they like. Over time, as you trade on the Exchange, the system will adjust its prices towards the true market values of the items. You should expect large changes in prices over the next few weeks; the Grand Exchange makes it much easier for buyers and sellers to find what they want, so there'll be less of a need to pay premium prices for obscure items. So if a guide price doesn't look right to you, please give it time to adjust.

Buy rate limit

The Grand Exchange has limits to the rate at which a player can buy items. These were introduced to discourage players from trying to mess around with the economy by monopolising critical items. Old School RuneScape has these limits too. For launch, we've deliberately kept them on the conservative side - with no limit on the prices players may offer, price manipulation is considerably easier here than it was in 2007. Over time we expect to be able to relax the limits.

Price manipulation

Players or groups of players should not attempt to manipulate the price of items through controlling their supply or demand. We are considering this to be a reportable offence under item scamming. We have multiple back-end systems that will allow us to identify manipulation proactively and will be keeping a very close eye on any attempts at price manipulation through the Grand Exchange.

Item sets

The Exchange clerks can pack items into sets, like the Trading Post used to do. For this update, we've added a few more sets to their list. There are a lot more we'd like to do in future updates, when time permits.

Grimy herbs

For our grimy herb graphic, we've currently preserved the Old School herb model, so the "cleaned" herbs look exactly like the identified herbs always did. However, we've had a few players saying they'd rather we changed the model to match what RuneScape 3's used over the years. If that's something you'd like, we'll put it in a poll forthwith.

In other news...

• Our 2nd birthday party has now come to an end. We've removed the leftover cake before it goes mouldy.
  • Moved a Goblin near Lumbridge that spawned in a tree.
  • Added some Guards to the roof of Varrock Palace.
  • Increased the amount of Moss giants in Varrock sewers.

Discuss this update on our forums.

Special thanks to Mod James H for lending his time to help test the Grand Exchange.

Join us later today for the Old School developer Q&A on the RuneScape Twitch chanel. We'll be answering the most pressing questions from the Old School community live at 5pm GMT.

Mods Archie, Ash, Ghost, Ian, John C, Mat K, Reach, Ronan, Weath

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 11:28 am 

Post subject: Re: [OSRS] The Grand Exchange 26 Feb 2015
PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 3:03 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Magicking
Quote:
Players or groups of players should not attempt to manipulate the price of items through controlling their supply or demand. We are considering this to be a reportable offence under item scamming. We have multiple back-end systems that will allow us to identify manipulation proactively and will be keeping a very close eye on any attempts at price manipulation through the Grand Exchange.

That's huge. I never thought I'd see the day where the economy would be defended by Jagex.

As for the state of the Grand Exchange right now, they did set the prices very high. Currently, a cut red topaz has a GE price of 21k. The in game economy has tanked at the moment, but it should settle out within a week or two.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 4:42 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
Hmm Jagex anti-manipulation maneuvers? That's a bold claim - let's see if they live up to it. I hope so :P.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 3:31 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
MageGuy08 wrote:
Quote:

That's huge. I never thought I'd see the day where the economy would be defended by Jagex.

As for the state of the Grand Exchange right now, they did set the prices very high. Currently, a cut red topaz has a GE price of 21k. The in game economy has tanked at the moment, but it should settle out within a week or two.

Interesting that they implement this into OSRS, but not the main game. Granted, the main game economy is much larger and harder to manipulate, but still doable. This is a much smaller economy to work with, but why should it be treated differently? Also, why is price manipulation reportable? It's not the same as item scamming as they so claim. The economy is more like a stock market with the GE. No one said people have to buy anything at a given price. Prices almost always come down eventually, too.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 8:03 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Magicking
Duke Juker wrote:
MageGuy08 wrote:
Quote:

Interesting that they implement this into OSRS, but not the main game. Granted, the main game economy is much larger and harder to manipulate, but still doable. This is a much smaller economy to work with, but why should it be treated differently? Also, why is price manipulation reportable? It's not the same as item scamming as they so claim. The economy is more like a stock market with the GE. No one said people have to buy anything at a given price. Prices almost always come down eventually, too.

In a way, price manipulation IS scamming. A group of players should not be able to buy up 95+% of an item, then sell it back to the player base at double or triple the price. What would you do if you had to buy something while the price tripled after a man made shortage? The prices only come down because the items are reintroduced into the market. Also, with the stock market analogy, you don't see a group of 5 people buy almost every stock for a company, that just doesn't happen.

We have actually (accidentally) influenced the market a few times. I remember a skill of the month (I think it was Herblore) where between the time of the announcement and the beginning of the month, the price of herbs and their secondaries shot up almost 25%.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 1:17 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
Duke Juker wrote:
MageGuy08 wrote:
Quote:

I think you actually answered your own question there about price manipulation there. Old School is a smaller, newer, and much more fragile market just introduced. Plus on Old School they've always had more of a caretaker mentality than for the live game. They've also taken more subtle measures against some "merch clans" in RS3.

MageGuy08 wrote:
We have actually (accidentally) influenced the market a few times. I remember a skill of the month (I think it was Herblore) where between the time of the announcement and the beginning of the month, the price of herbs and their secondaries shot up almost 25%.

Are you sure you're not giving yourself a little too much credit there :P? I mean there could be other factors/merch clans/whatever going on simultaneously. It just doesn't feel like (no offense) ~10 people seriously competing for SOTM could drive up prices that much on their own buying up supplies.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 1:17 pm 
Adamantite Member

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 9:29 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Arceus wrote:
Are you sure you're not giving yourself a little too much credit there :P? I mean there could be other factors/merch clans/whatever going on simultaneously. It just doesn't feel like (no offense) ~10 people seriously competing for SOTM could drive up prices that much on their own buying up supplies.

I can confirm that at very least Shane claims he and the other people competing did this. I don't recall which SkotM it was, but I'm sure he'll post here eventually and tell the story :roll:

I think you underestimate the lengths Shane will go to win something lol

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 2:15 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
It was that Farming SKOTM back in 2010 ;)...

A few of us were buying Torstols, it wasn't anything intentional but there was a noticeable spike on the graph. It wasn't anything malicious, it was just the market adjusting itself. This is also before Torstol seeds were given out like candy.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 2:56 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
MageGuy08 wrote:
In a way, price manipulation IS scamming. A group of players should not be able to buy up 95+% of an item, then sell it back to the player base at double or triple the price. What would you do if you had to buy something while the price tripled after a man made shortage? The prices only come down because the items are reintroduced into the market. Also, with the stock market analogy, you don't see a group of 5 people buy almost every stock for a company, that just doesn't happen.

I still have to disagree. Scamming in and of itself is a reprehensible act. It involves screwing people over for your own self gain, but more importantly because you enjoy screwing people over. If you don't believe me, watch YouTube videos of people scamming other people on Runescape.

And actually yes, in real life, it is possible for 5 people or a relatively small group of wealthy people to buy up the majority of a stock in a company. Have you never heard of hostile takeovers, corporate raids, and cornering the market? It's hard to do and it doesn't happen often, but it is possible. But back to my main point.

Price manipulation isn't about trying to screw people over. It's a perfectly viable, "legal" way to make money in RS. In a way, I view this as punishing resourceful people. People that know how to use the system to their own advantage. In all honesty, the only people hurt by price fluctuations are people who don't have a lot of gp AND/OR people that need a particular item right this instant and can't be bothered to wait or get it themselves.

If we are being truthful, there's no reason you can't buy items ahead of time when they are cheap. Nor is there any reason you can't buy items after the price has gone back down. And there's certainly no reason you can't go and get the items yourself like many people used to do and still do. The GE is a feature of convenience. People who are patient do not suffer the effects of price manipulation.

And although I do agree a small player base shouldn't be able to buy up the majority of an item, it's not their fault that it's possible. That's Jagex's fault. Jagex has done this before. They shift blame from themselves and put it on the players instead. This would be understandable and acceptable IF there was nothing Jagex could do to prevent price manipulation from happening. However, there are plenty of things Jagex could do to address the issue.

(These are just my ideas/suggestions from 1 minute of thinking. I think Jagex with all their resources and staff could figure out these ideas and more. But I digress.)
1. Put more buy limits in place, particularly on how much people can buy in a given amount of time.
2. Put a usage fee on the GE.
3. Decrease the increase rate of items from 5% to 1%, but keep the same decrease rate of 5%. 5% makes it relatively quick and easy to price manipulate. At 1%, people would have to wait longer to see a bigger profit and reconsider which items are viable to merchant if any.

Bottom line: It's not the players' fault how the GE works. It's Jagex fault. If they don't like it they need to fix it, not leave it as is and punish players for using the GE as it is.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy