Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: 11 Sept A letter to the RuneScape community from Mod MMG
PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 10:00 am 

RS Name: Lord Earth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

For the past six years I have had the immense pleasure of holding the position of CEO at Jagex. It is with a heavy heart that I write to you today to tell you all that this will be my seventh and final year at Jagex as I will be leaving this fantastic company and amazing talented passionate team this December.

I’ve been wrestling with just precisely how and when to say “goodbye” to not only all the amazing people at Jagex but of course to our beloved RuneScape community. Both have played such a seminal part in my life for what has seemed a lifetime and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute serving both.

If I look back over the past seven years we’ve come a very long way as a studio and no bigger testament of that is RuneScape. Now in our 14th year together, RuneScape continues to evolve and reinvent itself time and time again.

One of my proudest achievements at Jagex has been our efforts of tackling Botting and Gold Farming. When I first joined this was a huge problem for the business which I understand had plagued the game and community for many years. Today the game is virtually bot free and with the introduction of Bonds, gold farming too has become almost inexistent. A year on since Bonds was introduced, and I am again so pleased so see so many players reap the benefits of many years’ hard effort and loyalty.

Back in 2009, I pledged that we would start talking to our community more, and keep you all in the loop after a decade of perceived secrecy. Fast forward to 2014 and I think we have done just that! The return of PvP in the Wilderness & Free Trade, the launch of Old School RuneScape and most recently, Legacy Mode, have all been driven by YOU!.

Add to that the launch of Player Power at the start of this year, I have been thrilled to watch both the team and the community readily embrace this new way of working together. I still think we can do even more and I know my good friend Mod Pips and the rest of the RuneScape team have some really ground breaking plans for 2015 (I won’t steal their rightful lime-light).

It would be wrong of me to say I have always got everything right, because frankly I haven’t, but I can promise you everything we’ve ever done was always done with the RuneScape’s best interests in mind. I do genuinely believe RuneScape now has the strongest, passionate and most committed team ever, and RuneScape’s future is in very safe hands indeed.

In all honesty, with my departure in mind, I have been taking a step back and passed the virtual baton to Mod_Pips sometime ago. I have no doubt he will continue to lead RuneScape into a very bright future. I know you will all afford Pips and the team the same passion, dedication, support and feedback (good and bad) I’ve been very blessed with over the years!

Lastly, I wanted the opportunity and honour to say “Thank you for playing RuneScape” one last time and I will continue to pop into game (on my choob account) for many years to come.

Have fun!
Cheers

Mark Gerhard

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 10:00 am 

Post subject: Re: 11 Sept A letter to the RuneScape community from Mod MMG
PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 12:31 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
Well, I guess we'll find out what the future holds. It could be better, but it could be much worse as well :S.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 1:37 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
Very interesting. I'm waiting to see where the game goes from here with a new CEO.

ImageImage

PostPosted: September 11th, 2014, 11:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
I'm glad. While it's not all on him how Runescape has developed, he's had a major hand in it.

MMG wrote:
It would be wrong of me to say I have always got everything right, because frankly I haven’t, but I can promise you everything we’ve ever done was always done with the RuneScape’s best interests in mind.

This statement alone I don't believe whatsoever. In fact, it's a cop-out of a statement. I don't believe everything [MMG or Jagex] have ever done was always in the best interests of the game (or the players), but rather more so in the best interests of Jagex (i.e. micro transactions, bonds, solomon's, etc.).

For me, there is no love lost in hearing of his departure. Although imo the damage to the game is already done, hopefully this signals the coming of a better future for the game...though it will likely remain a hope if someone from Jagex takes over. Either way, we'll see what comes next.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Last edited by Earth on September 11th, 2014, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed your tags :)

PostPosted: September 12th, 2014, 11:19 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: blethorskite
Clan Name: Fealty Stars
Completely agree with you Duke. Good to see him go and in no way can I regard what he says as sincere.

ImageImage

PostPosted: September 12th, 2014, 2:28 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Its Arceus
RS Status: F2P
From what I've heard, Mod Pips is taking over responsibilities for RuneScape.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 12th, 2014, 2:28 pm 
Adamantite Member

PostPosted: September 15th, 2014, 3:55 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
I for one, will be disappointed to see him go. We will have to agree to disagree, Duke. I do not believe that "everything [MMG or Jagex] have ever done was always in the best interests of the game (or the players), but rather more so in the best interests of Jagex (i.e. micro transactions, bonds, solomon's, etc.)". While they may not be popular choices among the players, these are unfortunate side-effects of the world we live in. For the game to survive, these updates were needed for the longevity of the game. Jagex is a business, not a charitable company. They have employees that need to be paid to continue developing the game. They have overheads, such as servers to run, offices to rent and the like that need to be paid for. Sure, they could have not introduced micro transaction and just left all those bot accounts in the game and dealt with the stolen credit cards that those same bots used to pay memberships as they come up. Can you honestly say the game was better to play when you were competing with bots at blue dragons, or for those rune ore rocks? As a player base, we demanded Jagex do something about the bots, and they did. Almost overnight they banned nearly half of their paying membership accounts because they were botting and ruining the game. Banning those accounts came at a huge cost to the company's bottom line. To make sure they remained profitable and could pay all there staff, they introduced an update that brought in the extra revenue that was lost from these banned accounts. What we, as players must look at in perspective, is the way these micro transactions are run. While buying spins (or the treasure hunter keys, now) can allow some players to gain some free xp, or get some extra gp, it is not a necessity for those of us who don't want to spend extra money. We can still play the game to its fullest and enjoy all aspects of it and not suffer in any way for not spending the extra cash. I hear of a lot of other MMO's out there that you HAVE to spend money to get ahead in the game, otherwise you have no chance of moving forward at a reasonable pace. At no point have Jagex forced that upon the players. You can buy the extras if you wish, but you will suffer no penalties for spending no more than your monthly membership. As for myself, personally, I choose not to spend any extra money for these. In fact, I still have a ton of rune coins left over from the first gold membership from a few years ago. I have still been able to max out my player and am now hunting for my comp cape without having to spend an extra cent in game.

Yes, Mod MMG, did have the best interests of the company in mind, but that does not mean it was not in the best interests of the players too. These interests don't have to be mutually exclusive. With luck, we will get another CEO with the insight to look at BOTH sides of the coin, and hopefully someone from within the company will be appointed into this role. By the sounds of things, Mos Pips has been groomed for the role, so let us keep our fingers crossed that he gets the job. Otherwise, we may just see a CEO who really does just care about the bottom line and extracting as much profit as possible, without doing due diligence on what is necessary for the game. And please note, I do say necessary. This may not always be what is popular, but such is the way of business these days. I shudder to think where the game would be if Mod MMG did nothing about the bots and gold sellers. In all honesty, I truly believe the game would be gone if they did not follow the path they did.

Thank you Mod MMG, for your years of service to game. While not always popular, you have had to make several tough decisions to keep the game advancing. It is my opinion that you have tread that fine line between company profits and player interests well, and while there have been some occasional slips, you come out with more positives than negatives. I wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

Pyrnassius

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 8:35 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
While we disagree, I would like to elaborate on some of the points you made.

To me, there is a balance between doing what is necessary to keep the game alive and doing what is best for the game/players. And while I acknowledge Jagex is a business and not a charity (although this point is contradictory given their charity initiatives in the past), this doesn't justify the decisions made. Jagex was making plenty of money to pay the bills beforehand even with the eradication of bots. At some point (likely when the controlling interest was bought by another company), it became about profit generation. This isn't something Jagex or MMG can control, but it does change the dynamics of the decision making process.

Jagex certainly could have dealt with bots sooner, in a better manner, and with better results than the way they did. Sure, they needed time to develop and implement the technology, but to me, it never seemed like the priority from the get go. They realized it was a problem, but failed to put in the time and resources to address the problem as quickly and effectively as possible. Jagex finally came up with a solution, but seemingly too late with player numbers on the devline.

When it comes to micro transactions, real life circumstances should have no bearing on in-game success/advantages. End of discussion. Perhaps you don't agree on this point, but I think most gamers would agree with me. The fact any game these days has micro transactions that give an in-game advantage is problematic. It dilutes the integrity of gaming and makes it less enjoyable for those who do not want to participate. It is irrelevant in my mind that players have an option not to participate. It's not about players not wanting to participate. It's about micro transactions not having ANY PLACE in gaming whatsoever. The only goal is to make money, not to "pay the bills." I did write an article on the subject if you want to read more on my thoughts on the subject, although I think I've pretty much summed it up here. Also, the fact that other MMOs have issues with pay-to-win does not relate to how Jagex should do things. True, Runescape is not like other MMOs in this regard which is good. But the fact it does have some type of pay-to-win feature is unfortunate. I would be more open to increasing membership fees than implementing micro transactions.

To say "Yes, Mod MMG, did have the best interests of the company in mind, but that does not mean it was not in the best interests of the players too" doesn't rule out the possibility that the decisions he made at times WERE more so in favor of the business over the players. And this is understandable. From the standpoint of Jagex, it makes sense that MMG as the CEO would favor the interests of Jagex over the players. While companies should try to balance both interests, most fail to do so. This isn't just a Runescape issue, but a problem with gaming companies as a whole. Also, even though MMG said he looked at things from the side of the player, to me these are just empty words as they weren't proven by the decisions he made. We probably disagree on that as well.

And I'm not saying his job wasn't tough. It definitely was. No decision is easy or simple from the standpoint of a CEO. As I said before, praise/blame for Runescape's successes/failures shouldn't be placed solely on MMG. It is a team that is responsible for Runescape, not one man alone. Did he do a decent job? Sure, I could agree with that. Could he have done better? Most definitely imo. Will the game be better off because of how it changed under MMG's leadership? Only time will tell with a question like that. From the standpoint of a player, he didn't cut it as CEO. He didn't tread the line between player interest and company interest equitably, nor should we have expected him to. Most CEO's put business before the consumer while putting on the facade of things being the other way around.

All in all, he did alright. I just can't buy his statement that EVERYTHING they ever did was with Runescape's best interests in mind.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 9:51 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
I pretty much agree 101.97% with Duke.

At the beginning of the year I wrote an article which, among other things, talks about the change of CEOs over the years. Might be of interest to some of you.

I'm 'eh' about his leaving. Don't specifically have any hard feelings, but not terribly sad to see him go either. I'm interested to see how Pips handles it since it seems he'll be getting the torch.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 1:40 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
The definitive discussion: http://update.rsbandb.com/2014/09/rsban ... ake-me-play-my-cape/

Short and simple version? Without MMG the game would either be shuttered or a bastion of pay-to-win.