Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Please rate this news post
5 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
5 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
2 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
1 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
1 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
0 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
0 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 14
 Post subject: 24 April 2012 - Squeal of Fortune – Quest Reward Spins
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 9:06 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Image wrote:
As promised, we’re now giving spins on the Squeal of Fortune with every quest completed, for free players and members alike.

From today onwards, whenever you complete any quest listed here, you will receive 2 spins – in addition to the ordinary quest reward, of course - added directly onto your count of earned spins.

Any quest found in your quest list that you’ve either not started (displayed in red) or not completed (displayed in yellow) is eligible to earn you spins. You’ll still get spins for completing newer versions of quests that we’ve replaced (such as Gunnar’s Ground, or the new versions of Wolf Whistle, Druidic Ritual and Death Plateau), even if you’ve completed the old versions. However, you won’t get spins for completing unlisted mini-quests (such as Alfred Grimhand’s Bar Crawl), for claiming post-quest rewards (such as Tears of Guthix), or for completing Fremennik Sagas.

If you’ve yet to delve into questing, it’s a better time than ever to start. There are hundreds of hours of story-based content on offer with some awesome rewards, and now more spins as icing on the cake. Take a look here for ideas of where to find an adventure to suit you. Even if you’re an experienced conqueror of quests, there’s now more reason than ever to clear up the ones you never got around to finishing, and perhaps even to aim for the quest point cape.

Don’t forget: while free players have access to 19 quests, becoming a RuneScape member opens up over 160 members-only quests, along with a range of other amazing content.

For reasons related to the balance of the RuneScape economy, we’re unable to retroactively offer spins for quests already completed. Keep an eye out for new quest content in the coming months, though.

If you have any further questions, take a look at our FAQ.

The RuneScape Team

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 9:06 am 

Post subject: Re: 24 April 2012 - Squeal of Fortune – Quest Reward Spins
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 10:53 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
And now I have lost all hope in Jagex in being able to manager this.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 11:05 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Riceay13
Support. I'm glad they didn't give people who have competed quests spins. Just like they wouldn't give people free XP when a faster method comes out for a particular skill.

I don't see why so many people are complaining over this. It's a mere two spins per quest. I've been averaging two spin tickets an hour at LFM yet people don't seem to be bothered over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 11:39 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Parselmouth
Clan Name: DGS
Although I think any update to the Squeal of Fortune is a crap update and a waste of resources inside Jagex, I think for putting this in the game they did it the right way. I have 12 quests left for Quest Cape and I agree that giving people spins who already had them done is a bad idea.

RSN: Parselmouth | Jaysawn on ********

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 1:57 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
If they had to make the stipulation that people who already completed the quests will not get the spins, why give them as a reward for the quests at all? It be better if it was future released quests only, or if they allowed you to replay every quest to get your spins.

Skills are expected to get easier overtime, or give better rewards because you can still always do them even if you are maxed. Quests, you can only do them once (with the exception of the few reworked ones being able to be done again if the old version was completed).

The main reason this is a stupid update is that they are still promoting the squeal of fortune. The main objective of the game should not be spinning a prize wheel.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 2:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Mike wrote:
If they had to make the stipulation that people who already completed the quests will not get the spins, why give them as a reward for the quests at all? It be better if it was future released quests only, or if they allowed you to replay every quest to get your spins.

This is still a stupid update for the reason that they are still promoting the squeal of fortune. The main objective of the game should not be spinning a prize wheel.

Completely agree. I could handle future quest only spin rewards. It just sucks that people who already did the quests can't get the spins. I mean, when do you ever change the reward for a quest? Never in my experience. Its rewarding newer players and not people who have been loyal and around longer. I see why they are doing it, but it still just sucks.

Second quote is dead on. The game is too quickly becoming about paying to get ahead rather than putting in the time and effort to play the game. Why take a class in school if you can just pay to get a grade? Why put in all the work to be a football star when you can just buy a Superbowl ring to showoff? It's the same dynamic. Skipping the work you would normally have to put in to receive the same reward or end result as someone who puts in the time or effort.

Quote:
For reasons related to the balance of the RuneScape economy, we’re unable to retroactively offer spins for quests already completed.

When has Jagex ever gave a crap about the Runescape economy?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 2:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 6:46 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Riceay13
Quote:
When has Jagex ever gave a crap about the Runescape economy?

Grand Exchange limits is a prime example. Not that I agree with them, but it is an effort to keep things under some control. If they are not enforced, Merching clans would once again rule the market making things frustrating for the majority of the players. Also, money sinking skills such as Construction and Smithing for example have a bigger effect then you might think.

If us veterans are rewarded with 2 spins for each quest we've completed a flood of hundreds of thousands spins would be introduced the game. Although the only items I can really see having a direct effect on the economy are the SS's so i'm not to sure what they are getting at. Surely the 'rare' 10m GP reward wouldn't effect the market that much.

I'm not a fan of micro transactions and I don't necessarily like the direction Jagex is going about this but I don't mind SOF. It's not like one can purchase a 99 unless they want to spend thousands of dollars. And the chances of getting a 'rare' item is slim to none.

Just that much more motivation for me to finish up the few quests I haven't gotten to ;)

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 6:31 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Duke Juker wrote:
Second quote is dead on. The game is too quickly becoming about paying to get ahead rather than putting in the time and effort to play the game... Skipping the work you would normally have to put in to receive the same reward or end result as someone who puts in the time or effort.

Exactly! Well said! That is one thing that most people don't appreciate about this game. It was designed in the beginning to be hard to level your skills; designed so that you had to actually work for your xp. That in itself was one of the most attractive feature of the game --> what appeared to be an almost impossible goal to reach (skill mastery, or even now completionist cape). I am becoming more and more bothered by the fact that the game is becoming easier and easier to play. The challenge is becoming less and less over time. As you get higher and higher levels, you also unlock more efficient ways of training. We actually don't need to be spoon fed everything. I for one, don't need any help in developing satisfying training methods or gaining xp. I like that the game is hard to level skills. There's more satisfaction in the end when you do get a high level up. Now, the satisfaction has become diminished, because I know that some of that xp (an ever increasing amount as time goes by) comes from Jagex handouts.

Yes, you can say that I can refuse to play SoF. And, I actually do not make it a point to log in, just to spin the wheel. I will never, ever pay real world money to buy SoF spins. I want to work for my xp. And, I am getting tired of just how much this game is focused on giving us extra spins. It is real promotion of gambling and it is intensifying. Here, have another spin ticket, here, have another spin ticket.....

This game is much more than playing roulette. I actually wish SoF would just disappear altogether. That's my 2gp worth anyways.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 11:59 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
I find it interesting how hard there pushing the spins. I never brought into the "it's gambling it's evil" ******* but the fact there pushing it so hard does make you wonder if there trying to get that "just one more spin" feeling going.

It's especially strange that there still pushing it so hard consideirng all the negativity that came with it. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound. STILL plenty of other, better MMOs out there.

Last edited by CreepyPirate on April 25th, 2012, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 12:36 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
I love how Jagex won't give away 400 spins to people that have done 200 quests previously claiming it will "affect the economy" but they will sell 400 spins for 100$ and won't have an issue with it.

CORRUPT MONEY HUNGRY HYPOCRITES! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 1:42 pm 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
I'm not one to complain, but I think this fundamentally unfair to the long term players. For the loyalty points was one thing, because we ALL started on a fair playing field, in that everyone got the same amount from the start. With this however, if you are a quester, there is no way to "catch up" in rewards that others would be getting, meaning they are excluded for no reason other than because we did something previously. I wouldn't have a problem with this is the merely gave people who have done quests SOME SORT of retroactive spins. There is no reason why they couldn't give out 1 spin for every 10 quest points. That would only be 30 spins, but would be a pretty awesome thing to just be handed.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 8:02 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Evertime Jagex releases an update they post a thread on there official forums for discussion. A few quotes from the first page:

Quote:
Sigh..

Quote:
Gtfo sof we don't like you

Quote:
Srsly?

Quote:
wow....this is just too far, stop adding spins to everything, this is turning into $pin$cape.

Why is this game becoming about how many times you can spin a wheel?

:lol:

This is becoming funny. How long can they keep there heads buried in the sand. Unfortunately the first response is by a retard (well there all pretty bad comment wise to be honest but that's runescape) what I'd have loved to see was a picture of a hand with the middle finger up and just "**** you" in big letters below it.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 9:07 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Bonsai99 wrote:
I love how Jagex won't give away 400 spins to people that have done 200 quests previously claiming it will "affect the economy" but they will sell 400 spins for 100$ and won't have an issue with it.

CORRUPT MONEY HUNGRY HYPOCRITES! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Lol I was talking to scott and he pointed that out. Jagex logic: giving 300 spins ONCE to players who have been around forever will unbalance the economy, but allowing anyone to buy 450 spins every single day wont

PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 12:50 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: blethorskite
Clan Name: Fealty Stars
Cant see it dissapearing unless people were to stop paying subscriptions, something unlikely to happen, as it must be making them an easy profit.

I still wonder about the legality of this as it must surely be construed as gambling and a lot of players arent old enough to gamble.

ImageImage

PostPosted: April 30th, 2012, 5:47 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
blethorskite wrote:
I still wonder about the legality of this as it must surely be construed as gambling and a lot of players arent old enough to gamble.

It is a bit sketchy / immoral to do the gambling bit, especially so since they don't check for age, but I guess their case revolves around not being real items or money. I'd think that the case could still be made since they are requiring real money for the gambling, but I'm not a lawyer.