Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How would you rate this update out of 5?
5 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
5 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
4 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
4 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
3 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
3 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
1 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 8
 Post subject: 09-Feb-2011 - Prisoner of Glouphrie and Gnome Graphical Rew…
PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 5:31 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Quote:
09-Feb-2011 - Prisoner of Glouphrie and Gnome Graphical Rework

An adventure starts with an old letter found in a disorderly storeroom… Who would have thought one letter could lead to a mountainous trek to Lletya in the company of a gnome adventurer, via a path that no human or elf (and only one gnome) has ever trodden before? And that’s only the start: you’ll be decrypting Yewnock’s most ingenious, and most puzzling, calibration device to date, and you’ll get a unique and revealing insight into Arposandra life. All of this awaits those who choose to investigate the fate of...The Prisoner of Glouphrie!

Level 86+ farmers will also be pleased to know that the new spirit tree patch mentioned in Behind the Scenes - February does also come with the ability to plant up to two of these trees.

During the quest, you’ll meet members of King Bolren’s family tree, and they, along with every other gnome in RuneScape, have had a visit from the Makeover Mage to give them a much-improved new look. Be sure to check out your favourite gnome NPCs at the Tree Gnome Village and Battlefield (in particular those riding on terrorbirds and battle tortoises), the Tree Gnome Stronghold, the glider pilots, and even members of 10th Squad on Ape Atoll.

Mod Maylea
RuneScape Content Developer

Summary:
Where to start Prisoner of Glouphrie:

Talk to Golrie in his cave below Tree Gnome Village.

Requirements to start Prisoner of Glouphrie:

61 Runecrafting
62 Construction
64 Agility
64 Thieving
Path of Glouphrie
Roving Elves

In other news...

Profanity Filter

We’ve added a new feature to the old chat filter, now renamed as the profanity filter. Its default function is still to be turned on to filter out all the words (and URLs) on our blacklist, but we’ve added the option for you to turn the filter off. We recognise that RuneScape has a maturing player base and, as such, wish to give you the freedom to choose for yourselves, while also still keeping the filter for those players who do not wish to see swear words and the like.

This is, of course, not a cue to be disrespectful of or towards your fellow players, as all RuneScape rules still apply. If you find swearing offensive, please do leave the profanity filter on. Equally, please do not try to circumvent the filter. Also, even turned off, we will still be filtering out URLs (though we have plans to add a whitelist of 'safe' sites), and any chat that contains your password will still be completely blocked.

Game World Changes

We have switched four worlds (worlds 21, 32, 40 and 85) from free-to-play to members-only, to deal with the increased demand for member worlds since the Wilderness was reinstated. World 85 is also a LootShare world.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 5:31 am 
Site Owner

Post subject: RS Update - Profanity Filter Toggle
PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 8:03 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Today's RS Update included this:
In other news...

Profanity Filter

We’ve added a new feature to the old chat filter, now renamed as the profanity filter. Its default function is still to be turned on to filter out all the words (and URLs) on our blacklist, but we’ve added the option for you to turn the filter off. We recognise that RuneScape has a maturing player base and, as such, wish to give you the freedom to choose for yourselves, while also still keeping the filter for those players who do not wish to see swear words and the like.

This is, of course, not a cue to be disrespectful of or towards your fellow players, as all RuneScape rules still apply. If you find swearing offensive, please do leave the profanity filter on. Equally, please do not try to circumvent the filter. Also, even turned off, we will still be filtering out URLs (though we have plans to add a whitelist of 'safe' sites), and any chat that contains your password will still be completely blocked.

Here is a little RS Forum conversation that yours truly had with Mod Mark H on the subject matter:

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

Post subject: Re: RS Update - Profanity Filter Toggle
PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 8:29 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: iZant
Clan Name: Apocalypse Slayers
Interesting that they did this, but people are going to go to the Grand Exchange and be complete pervs.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 8:29 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Kyle Watson
Yeah, I read about this before. Seems like a very strange update for jagex to put out since they seem to be all for security, safety and general protection of their players. Plus there doesn't seem to be any form of age limit or verification on who can turn the filter off which means children who play unsupervised could be learning all sorts of words. If mature players want to turn their filter off then each to their own, but when you're exposing children to this at the click of a button it because a different matter all together in my opinion.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 8:55 am 
Chat Moderator

I personally don't see Roleplaying and 21st century language being compatible. It really does contaminate the atmosphere within the game. Anyway, simple solution is to have the filter turned ON at all times, and when you notice players spouting off with ***** flying all over the screen, just put those players into your ignore list. I think we may need more capacity in our ignore lists though :)

I find Mod Mark H's comment regarding the game's intent, rather, well... disconcerting. Is this not a Roleplaying game? Hence, the reason for me submitting my very first ever audio question to RSBandBUpdate in episode 263. My question can be heard at time signature: 38:20. Link to the show:
http://update.rsbandb.com/2010/07/rsbandbupdate-263-101-dalmatians/.

Well, adapt again we must.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 9:17 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
I have been waiting for this update since 2004... So annoying when Im PMing friends and we have to talk differently.

5/5

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 9:17 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 9:25 am 
Chat Moderator

O.K. I can accept that some people want to speak freely when they PM their friends. Fair enough. I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I just don't want to see it in public chat.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 9:32 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Uncle Dano wrote:
O.K. I can accept that some people want to speak freely when they PM their friends. Fair enough. I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I just don't want to see it in public chat.

I agree with that. Public chat is different than private imo.

I'd like to see options for both

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 2:00 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Lol like every other game has options to remove chat filters and it's not like there is a greater amount of cursing on those games to asterisks on RS. Maybe the first few days with people seeing if it's actually true since it's funny that they suddenly realize that the game audience is maturing (like it wasn't before?) since like everything imaginable is censored in RS even if you're not swearing.

But just because in the old days it was considered bad luck (I forget the right word... omen?.. no idk) to talk about *** that "****" becomes an actual curse (and the various ways of other curse words) doesn't mean in modern times when you say it you put a curse on yourself or anyone. Look at how much interest there is in the RP worlds lol. Hardly anyone speaks as their character would and it has never been the spirit of the game to do so, so I don't really see why forcing one aspect of it on the players is necessary. But if that was forced on people who really wanted to use profanity they could just play their character as the village drunk... see there is a place for it! XD

Vocabulary was very limited among the populations in the mediaeval time period compared to now but it's not like words that would never be used or known, or even existed, should be censored. XD You can't just apply that logic to a select few words that you have a problem with.

There are varying degrees of role playing and with RuneScape and a lot of games it's limited to your character. It can be taken further than that, but few people are actually interested in that to the extent that games create separate worlds and such for people who want to do that. RuneScape does have role playing worlds (unless they're gone now) but there's so little interest that anyone who is actually RPing would stick out even on them.

Post subject: Re: 09-Feb-2011 - Prisoner of Glouphrie and Gnome Graphical
PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 2:46 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Still chasing world of warcraft.

Nice quest tho..well the reward. I wont say no to 45k rc exp.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 7:03 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Ice Blk Drgn
Clan Name: MaSoRs
Yet another reason to keep Public on Hide or Off and Private on Friends. Thank you Jagex.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2011, 11:14 am 
Chat Moderator

With respect to the new toggle for the profanity filter, I invite you to read my RS Forum thread found here:

http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c=Ts2xIjP*Ldg/forums.ws?15,16,637,62366799
[Quick find code: 15-16-637-62366799]

I see a real inconsistency with the rule that prohibits offensive language and the provision to toggle off the filter, especially when they are now introducing a subjective "context" parameter into the mix. Who determines whether or not the context was offensive?

PostPosted: February 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

There was always a "'context' parameter". The only difference now is that if you choose to turn off the filter that it wont be asterisks taking the place of any words but just because there are asterisks there doesn't mean you magically aren't offended by what they're saying.

If you are offended over the mere use of a word, well there is no reason to be offended over a word alone in the first place so I don't know what to say to that. But if it is used hatefully then there is a reason to be offended?
These forums there is an option to turn off the censor but it's not that makes you immune to getting warned if you go off making offensive and hateful posts. (not entirely true there can be side notes made to that not going to tho lol)

There was never a rule that prohibited swearing in the first place lol. You could swear to your hearts content as long as you weren't hateful and weren't evading the censor.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2011, 1:14 pm 
Chat Moderator

Warren wrote:
There was never a rule that prohibited swearing in the first place lol. You could swear to your hearts content as long as you weren't hateful and weren't evading the censor.

The RuneScape Rules of Conduct do state the following:

RuneScape Rules wrote:
You must not use any language that could be considered offensive, racist, obscene or otherwise inappropriate. This includes swearing.

What do you mean by offensive or inappropriate language?

This includes (but is not limited to): discussion of recreational drugs, ******** explicit language, solicitation, racism or other prejudice, threatening, blackmail and swearing.

(emphasis added)

As you can see, as written, there seems to be no room for interpretation. :) Swearing is not allowed. All I am saying is that if swearing in a particular context is not grounds for a report, because someone thinks it's not offensive, then the rule as written must state that. The whole notion of someone telling someone else what should be considered offensive is another story. (Or, as Shane and Chief would say, "a topic for another show" :))

PostPosted: February 10th, 2011, 1:27 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Then your thread takes the wrong position lol. It isn't arguing that that section of the rules needs to be updated to be in line with the new filter option. The thread is more arguing that now that you can turn off the filter that you should be able to collect offences for swearing. XD

And by the way: no matter what the rules say or don't say, Jagex has never been strict in following them the way they are written. You can successfully appeal offences in contradiction to the rules and you can fail miserably in an appeal explaining how the rules plainly permit it 100%. And there are other additions to the rules, like the forum topic permitting you to say the name of certain fansites. I don't think there is something in the advertising rule that mentions the stipulations of that topic or links to it or anything - or at least there wasn't. But I recall despite RSBANDB deemed a safe site if you said Runewire in the RSBANDB clan chat, there would always be someone there to report you and there would always be a Jagex Staff to mute you and there would always be an appeal person to deny your appeal. They probably still mute for saying Runewire, and I have 3 offences and 3 denied appeals that explain Runewire is a service of rsbandb and I won't "learn from that" and stop saying Runewire because the fansite topic plainly says that it's okay to say it.

But I find it funny that Jagex is promoting context or something like that, since context is something they have absolutely no grasp of at all, judging by what they will mute you for and the appeals they will deny.

Quote:
The whole notion of someone telling someone else what should be considered offensive is another story. (Or, as Shane and Chief would say, "a topic for another show" )

So then there are three options: punish everyone for speaking, don't consider anything offensive at all, or consider it within a reasonable person.
It is very popular to teach children "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" so I don't think a reasonable person should get offended over ancient taboos.