Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why I Play Runescape
PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 6:30 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
RS Status: P2P
I started this game back in 2011, when I was having some mental health issues. Runescape was the perfect escape for me, where I could just lose myself in the game and forget about everything else for a little while. Over the years, I set many goals for myself and achieved a lot of them. One of the great attractions is the new content continuously added, allowing me to keep pushing my goals along. The years did not get any kinder, with anl injury at work stopping me from most physical activities, but Runescape was always there for me to escape to for a little while each day.
120 slayer and the associated conted such as collecting souls and creating my own slayer dungeon was an absolute delight for me and an update I would have given best of the year. I am nearing the end of the Slayer Codex and have only 3 souls to collect, one of them being the lava strykewyrm. I have spent hours out there hunting it, but constantly get pk'd by players who just want to ruin another person's enjoyment. The gear I am wearing is just being dragonhide and my crystal bow is saved when I die, so there is nothing for them to gain other than some sort of perverse enjoyment in wrecking the game for another player. Even my wilderness sword is saved, my gear is so low.
Now, I know what everyone is saying, and that is "well, you are in the wildy, you have to expect to be killed". I understand that, however, when someone has a goal that is 99% completed normally, but is forced into this area that they would never enter, there is the issue. For those of us who struggle with mental health on a daily basis and use the game as part of our coping mechanism, this is highly stressful and can cause real anguish.
To all the pkers out there, I just want you to sit back and think when you take you nox staff out and attack someone who is defenceless against you, wearing low-level gear and having no chance at all. What are you really gaining and what is it really costing that player. Would you go up to a child and punch him in the face just to take his lollipop and ruin his day?
Mental health is a real issue in modern society and Jagex forcing those who suffer into these situations is not conducive to helping sufferers of this. Content should not be inaccessible to players because of this and I feel forcing them into the wilderness does just that. In this day and age of the game, after many failed attempts to revive PvP in the wilderness, is it time for player-killing to be removed? Most who are out there are either scamming players, or just trolling them. It adds very little to game in its current format.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am sure I will be back soon, as I do love the game, but the stress for now is forcing me to take a break for a little while.

Image Image Image
Image Image

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 6:30 am 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: Why I Play Runescape
PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 1:11 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Jamandy52
Clan Name: 1elitesc / Jamandy52
I would much prefer it restricted to pvp worlds and leave us a few safe wildy places to hang out.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 3:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
I remember them giving us PvP worlds before. Where everywhere was free for all unless you're in a bank.
Jagex didn't keep them around for very long. But as someone who will never be a pker. I found them neat. No not Darkscape.. not that.

As someone who also been dealing with mental illness for their entire life I understand your point but don't really either.
Anyways a break is probably a good thing. I need to take long breaks from Runescape often.
I love the grind, but it's also mentally draining.

Take care Pyrnassius.
Feel better.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 2:48 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
First of all I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. I can only imagine how it must feel to be so close to completion then have it taken away by some random on the internet.

Secondly I think there's a decent compromise. PVP should be able to be done without losing items if you wish. In Star Trek Online you get nothing for killing other players, just the satisfaction of being able to take them down. RS could adopt a similar mechanic in terms of a wilderness tax. You pay a wilderness tax when you enter the wilderness if you don't want the risk of losing items. If osmeone kills you they get a portion of this GP value. It would be an hourly rate or something similar.

Hope to see you back soon.