Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Small Survey, takes 5 min max
PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 6:58 am 
Bronze Member

RS Status: Retired
Hi!

Currently, I'm 22 years old and working on my master's thesis at the catholic university of Leuven (Belgium).

I made a small survey. Keep in mind that a basic knowledge of probabilities is necessary in order to successfully complete the survey.
If you don't understand the questions, please don't fill in the survey randomly, just close it.

Members should use this link: https://bonnefabio.typeform.com/to/hrWCZs
Non-members should use this link: https://fabiobonne.typeform.com/to/tRj7Lc

MANY thanks to those that help me out !

Kind regards

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 6:58 am 
Bronze Member

Post subject: Re: Small Survey, takes 5 min max
PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 12:15 pm 
Bronze Member

I made the questions in the survey a lot easier to understand, so that any confussion should be solved!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 3:26 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Just out of curiosity, what field is this survey for?

Also what in particular are you trying to gauge?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 10:15 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Jamandy52
Clan Name: 1elitesc / Jamandy52
I don't understand why you want me to answer questions about losing membership? Wut?

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 2:53 am 
Bronze Member

With these questions i can depict the utility curve (gain part for non-members and loss part for members); which will give me insight into how much more severe the impact of the expiration of membership is for members compared with gain of membership for non-members. This is reflected in a 'loss aversion index'. If this index is sufficiently high, Jagex could in theory give a month premium to non-members for free, so that on the expiration of that month additional purchase of membership becomes more probable (because losses loom harder than gains, or this is al least what i am trying to prove).

The thesis concerns loss aversion in online gaming in general, i picked out RS as a game to implement it.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 2:56 am 
Bronze Member

@Jamandy52: Keep in mind that you don't actually lose your membership, all the questions are hypothetical. I don't have any information about who you are. You should answer the questions AS IF they are played out for real, but they NEVER are (this is also stated in the beginning of the survey).

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 2:56 am 
Bronze Member

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 1:48 pm 
Runite Member

Glad to see your feedback here, I also replied on another fansite you posted this on.

Anyway, I can tell you that jagex used to grant 1 week of free membership to new accounts but found it did not increase the subscriber base so they ceased doing so.

That said, Now that I better understand, I suppose I can take the survey.

As to my own personal membership, it isn;t an issue I need to encounter for at least 4 more years ;)

Edit: is it intentional for the mebership quizz to ask the same question over and over again?

I am on question four, which is identical to the prior 3, all of which have made me feel you will retain better results by opening up a discussion versus a survey.

For example,

You told me I have 400 days of membership.

I can choose to

either lose 360 days of membership with 50% chance? Chance?

I guess I am wondering, are you rolling a dice on my first 360 days and I have a 50% chance to KEEP 360 days, thus adding up to an average of 183 bonus days?

OR

Lose 360 days with 100% chance? Which I assume means every day I am guaranteed to lose the membership every day of the first 360?

I feel like this survey lacks clarity and variety?

I chose the indifference of '1' because I don't understand if this should be the number of days I should be willing to sacrifice? By sacrifice I mean lose as normal? My indifference is a 1 on a scale of '1 to 10? 1 being how little I care?

Or do I need to choose X because I wioll only pick option 2 if I choose the risk of keeping extra days?

This makes literally no sense.

Now, you can view my questions as a pain, but I hope you take my feedback as someone who genuinely wants to help, versus being frustrated and starts being random.

But is the X algbra or a scale?

I'm not dumb, but this survey, again, seems to read to me as a confusing way to ask:

If you might keep half the days you paid for, would you buy membership? How likely are you to buy membership if you might keep up to 50%?

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 4:26 pm 
Bronze Member

I'm really confused by you comments to be honest, you are overthinking way too much.

For each questions you can assume to have 400 days of membership.
Now, the first scenario is:
Option 1: lose 360 days of membership with 50% chance and lose 0 days of membership with 50% chance
Option 2: lose X days membership with 100% chance.
Now my question to you is to return the X for which you are indifferent between option 1 and option 2.
When the first scenario plays out, you will have either 40 days left, or 400, depending on the outcome.
When the second scenario plays out, you will have (400-X) days left, with 100% certainty.

I want the X for which playing out scenario 1 or 2 to you, does not matter IF YOU HAD TO PICK exactly 1 of the 2 scenario's.

I think your confusion is placed in the fact that you think you have to choose between option 1 and option 2. There is never a CHOICE a choice between options ! I am asking you the X (= an amount of days between 0 and 360) which makes you INDIFFERENT between the TWO OPTIONS stated above. X is thus a number of days between 0 and 360, depending on how much risk you want to take.

Questions 4 can never be EXACTLY the same as question 3; every question BUILDS on your previous answers. This linkage of questions allows me to get a global idea of your risk preferences.

"I'm not dumb, but this survey, again, seems to read to me as a confusing way to ask:

If you might keep half the days you paid for, would you buy membership?"

You certaintly are not dumb, trust me. You proposed question would indeed work, but would give much less information. An exact number provides more information than an interval between [0 ; 200] or [0; 180]

Many thanks for the comments and i'll certainly keep them in mind: I gave more info in the first 'X-question', which hopefully solves the confusion?

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 5:05 pm 
Runite Member

AHA! Thank you! Now I understand! I will retake this survey then when I get home! Thanks for the clarity and putting up with my confusion :)

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 1:10 pm 
Bronze Member

Bump!