Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Does to Much Transparency Still Rock?
PostPosted: October 29th, 2016, 8:41 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mr Bistro
RS Status: P2P
Jagex has become more open about their updates if compared to the last decade. It begs the question, "Are they being to transparent?" I think that they are. Most people use the argument that the mystery of not knowing what the next new update was fun. I agree with that. Runescape has become such a large game however that the updates that were never talked about and just released would not be up to snuff anymore. These updates that I am talking about are ones like surge spells, overload potions, juju farming. all this was never told until release. Juju farming was a bigger update, but to meet standards now would require much more graphical work, much more content beyond the farming. It would need incentives to use it at first, it would need a treasure hunter attached to it. There are a lot of factors that are now at play for this.

I would like to see Jagex try to be more secretive on selective updates. With a new update schedule coming down the pipe maybe that is what we are in for. More surprises because the big scope of the project just can't tell us everything.

But please no more walking players through the boss fight before release and tone down the amount of player driven ideas. Try going back to the roots and surprising players again, at least a healthy mix of the two would be awesome.

What do you all think?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 29th, 2016, 8:41 am 
Mithril Member

Post subject: Re: Does to Much Transparency Still Rock?
PostPosted: November 1st, 2016, 6:49 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I don't think its bad to be transparent when it comes to updates, but I think a balance would be best.

I don't have a problem with it for a couple reasons. Firstly, I personally like to know what is coming up. It gives me a chance to prepare or get hyped. Things that are just sprung on like a surprise tend to be confusing at first. For example, if Jagex hadn't said anything at all about Invention and just released it, a lot of people would have been confused and lost as to what to do. Surprises are nice, but they can backfire initially.

The second reason I like to know in advance is because players have a chance to voice feedback. This point is more debatable as people are generally split as to how much influences should have over games. In my opinion, I think player feedback is valuable and important. It gives devs a chance to preview how people feel about updates, make tweaks and fixes, consider different ideas. As much as I'd like to trust devs entirely to come up with content on their own, I don't think player feedback has a negative impact on the process.

But as I started out saying, I think there needs to be a balance. I think surprises and hidden updates have a place in games and should be thrown in from time to time to keep things fresh and exciting. However, when it comes to general improvements and large releases, I think transparency and player feedback are the way to go.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Re: Does to Much Transparency Still Rock?
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2016, 5:40 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
Transparency is good, however, I feel they are taking it too far. Take the latest QandA stream. I hate that they gave away details of all the rewards from the upcoming Fate of the Gods @ quest. I enjoy playing through the quests and finding out what I get at the end. There are some nice rewards from that quest on offer, but they have taken some of the anticipation out of it for me by telling me what I am getting from it.

Your other point about players giving feedback, in a perfect world, would normally be a good thing. However, I feel that the vocal minority as whole care about themselves only and not what is good for the majority or for the game as a whole. Proper discussions about important content should be encouraged, but we have seen time and again good ideas that may cause a few minor issues in the short term, such as items crashing, a little less gp coming in etc, but would be good overall for the long-term get screamed down.

It is my opinion that I pay Jagex to develop a game and content that will be enjoyed by the majority. I am not a game designer by trade, I do not have a degree in game design, so how am I going to know what is best for the majority of players. Yes, I have my opinions on what I like and want to see, but that will not always coincide with the majority. The developers have been employed because they are trained and know what they are doing. Feedback can certainly help them, but we seem to have a very toxic group that carry on about virtually every update that isn't specifically aimed at them, or will cause a marginal setback to their gp gains.

I think it is time for Jagex to take control of the reins a little more an start to develop the game they have done successfully for the past 15 years themselves again, instead of kowtowing to a subset of the player base again and again.

Image Image
Image Image