Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer] Is Premier Membership Still Worth It?
PostPosted: November 24th, 2015, 3:05 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mr Bistro
RS Status: P2P
Premier Membership is coming back to RuneScape once again. A great way to get all the RuneScape pay for the year, out of the way and to get some bonuses while doing it. But is it really worth it anymore? I bring this up because throughout the year updates come out for seasons that when buying membership, better benefits come out than what is released with the Premier club. If I already purchased my membership for the whole year, then why am I missing out on all these opportunities?

I think to bring the Premier Membership back up to par, these features should be accessible when buying the whole year of membership. Even if that means bringing up that cost a few dollars. Maybe even added a tier above gold. Platinum or Dragon. I wouldn't think twice about paying more if it meant that I wouldn't miss out on anything. I have signed up for the Premier club since it was first announced because of all the benefits that came with it. The extra rune coins on the first year, the extra spin every day that the premier membership covers, and the pets and emotes that come with the membership are all things that I have enjoyed and really talked my friends into doing. None of them regret getting this membership.

When it was first released it was a great plan. Times have changed and the premier membership now needs to account for its gimmicky feel for missing out on bonus exp or extra spins for certain events that happen throughout the year. It also seems that with each year that goes by the bonuses for buying the membership seem to be going down and the content is decreasing. I see this with a lot of other parts of Runescape where people are only caring about pets. I don't know if this is mostly Jagex's doing or if pets are really the best thing since sliced bread. I want stuff I can buy at the store to come out again and to be given the perk of rune coins to buy them with over a stinking pet. If I want the pet, I will buy the pet.

Another area that can really be improved about the membership plan would be with the newsletters released every few months. I would really like to have extra stuff with this almost like getting a small little magazine on all things Runescape. Maybe new training methods or articles from Runescape players and art from the players like they do with the community spots they put on updates for the site every once and awhile. Maybe even have exclusive contests for people that sign onto this membership, just as another small perk. All those things for the newsletter that could be updated would not only cost Jagex very little in extra expense, but would also entice the players and make them more interested in receiving those newsletter. As of right now, I have not looked at very many of them because they are really lackluster and disappointing in amount of content.

Bringing premier membership more benefits may be considered alienating the people that do not buy that kind of membership or cannot. I think that there isn't really that big of a difference. There are benefits to getting membership in each of their own ways. Buying bonds makes Runescape essentially free to play as members. I have many friends that do this. I used to think that was difficult but being honest, if someone is playing for at half of my level they can still make that necessary money in order to get that membership every 14 days. Buying the membership from the cards benefit is really getting the bonus stuff when Jagex releases an event or to buy membership without using a card online. Though this is great, the idea that I propose here does not take away that from either of these methods of getting membership. The added bonus for handing out a year guarantee of membership should have the benefits of all other forms of receiving membership hence it being called premier.

Regardless of what happens I will be selecting the premier membership at the end of the month as usual. Though I will miss out on the benefits for all the other membership pay methods I will still be a member for a whole year without having to think about it. The benefits are really nice and though they could be updated I still feel that premier membership is the best way to pay for membership in Runescape.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 24th, 2015, 3:05 am 
Mithril Member

Post subject: Re: [Informer] Is Premier Membership Still Worth It?
PostPosted: November 28th, 2015, 3:07 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: RRman Nz
100% its always worth, even if its the same price as 12 months

PostPosted: December 1st, 2015, 5:45 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
I'm tempted purely for the teleport override. The reason why it doesn't make sense is that my membership is still $5/mo. I wish there was a limited pack for the benefits but no actual membership.

Oh well, more on the podcast this week.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 4:16 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
For me, personally, the Premier Membership is still worth it. While the dollar value pretty much equals what I would pay if I was doing it monthly, the convenience of a single payment is what makes it worthwhile in my circumstances. However, I do feel such a substantial price rise (about $20 this year as opposed to last year) is a little extreme. While an extra spin and access to VIP worlds and the like are nice, they would not be deciding features for or against to me. I, too, have had Premier Club since it was first introduced. I feel that those of us who have remained Premier Club members from the beginning should perhaps receive some sort of benefit similar to those pay by the month members, who are grandfathered in at $5 a month. It doesn't have to be the same price as the first year, but perhaps a discount of a certain percent for each year you buy the premier membership. For example, if this is your 2nd year of it, you get 2% off, if its the 3rd year, 3% and if you have had it from the very beginning a 5% discount. This could continue each year and incentivise players to continue a yearly membership. With most other payments, there is usually a decent saving with paying yearly rather than monthly. Jagex also gets the added benefit of receiving our money up front for the entire year, rather than having it trickle in over 12 months. Remember, also, that many players may let their memberships lapse after 6 or 7 months when they want to just take a break or don't play for a couple of months. By paying for a year up front, Jagex does not lose out if some players on the premier club quit after several months before the membership runs out.

This year seems to represent much less value than previous years, especially as the yearly fee pretty much amounts to the same as the monthly fee (at least here in Australia), but there are extra features we are receiving. Whether these extras are worth it to each individual player is something that they will have to judge for themselves. For myself, the additional 150K loyalty points is not too bad, however the rest of the bonuses I don't really care about. Even the extra TH key does not interest me. TH occasionally has something I like on it, but 1 extra key a week rarely, if ever, lets me win it.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 5:08 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
I haven't played Runescape, in about, 2 months.
I'm highly debating still if I'm going to get premier club or not.
I never have before because I had never been able to afford the 1 sum of 100+.

I can now, since I get paid regularly, the money is no longer the issue.

I wake up some days wanting to play Runescape again and then I remember Jagex's plan for 2016 and how it's awful.
(i.e. Invention)

I guess the benefits are fine since the cost of gold tier is practically the same price you would pay anyways if you paid per month. (if you aren't grandfathered)
Everything else is a bonus.

I still don't know if I'm joining the premier club for the first time or if I'm ever going to even playing Runescape again.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2015, 1:05 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Worth it to me and I don't even play that much (been playing a lot recently). Jumped in price quite a bit from last year to $9/month, but that isn't that bad for a game in all honesty. It's a good deal.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Last edited by Duke Juker on December 20th, 2015, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 15th, 2015, 1:05 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: December 15th, 2015, 6:02 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Ls 3
I think it's worth it.
Short answer, yes.
Long answer.. Well, read the previous replies lmao

It equals out for me, if I keep paying by month it's roughly the same, give or take a few dollars; but it adds extra content and to me, that seems worth it.
The aura is OP if you only use it at its best, end of month I believe.
The outfit is okay, I mean, I am pretty sure the outfit is intended for NXT so it will look better on release I assume.
The chat badge is boring but it's an optional extra, sort of. It looks cool but it's overused and underwhelming.

Anyway, that's my opinion if it's worth anything.