Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Old Holiday Items For Sale
PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 3:22 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
RS Status: P2P
This is an interesting topic to vote on. For starters, it is good to see they are not offering to sell tradeable rares such as partyhats and halloween masks for loyalty points, and only the untradeable ones. There are many differing opinions on this and to why it is either good or bad. Personally, I don't like to see it offered through the loyalty program. I would much rather see each holiday event re-introduced at the appropriate holiday time and have a portal through which you could go and do the event. I would like to have a few of those old items, and since they cannot be bought, I have no chance whatsoever to get them, simply because I had never heard of Runescape before 2011. I would love the chance to play those old holiday events though, because I have heard how much better they were to the current days ones. I remember my first couple, where we had to run around and get the crowns of spring and winter, and another where we went to Death's castle. These took time and were fun to do. The current ones are over too quick and don't require much thought or action to do.

The ability to replay the events for players would be a better option, as earning a reward is far more satisfying than simply purchasing it. This polling option is opening up too many cans of worms. It has the potential to really backfire on Jagex and blow up in their faces. Hopefully this won't be too detrimental to the game, but only time will tell

In the meantime, let's all just have fun playing the game!

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 3:22 am 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: Old Holiday Items For Sale
PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 10:30 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I agree with you, Pyrn. I don't think the loyalty point idea is the way to go. Free would be better and at the time of holiday events.

I used to think for a long time it wouldn't be fair to give new people a shot at old holiday items for the sake of veterans. But I've come around on the idea. Since the items are untradeable, it doesn't affect anything. I think maybe to satisfy veterans, Jagex could give them like a gold version of the item if they had it before this was introduced. Or some kind of reward. Anyway, I think it's a good idea and one I don't really have qualms with anymore.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 5:21 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
I like the idea of a gold or trimmed item for those that had it before. It gives those of us who didn't have the opportunity to get them a chance to have them and still recognizes those who did the event at the time.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 9:24 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
No, it's a terrible idea. It devalues veterans even more. No offence meant, but why should you be allowed to get my Yoyo or Santa costume? You weren't there in 2004 and 2008. Holiday items are one of the extreme few things that real veterans have that can't be purchased with any sort of currency. They are bought with time and that should be the only thing that can earn them.

That being said, last I saw the poll was going in favor of giving everyone everything so it doesn't matter. I just hope they do something so that the veterans still have something for their years of loyalty.

If they're going to give everyone the untradeable holiday items then they need to give everyone the tradeable ones as well and make all holiday items non-trade. This, actually, is something they should have done a decade ago because they said holiday items were never intended to be 'rares' in the sense they have been for the past 10 years.

Pyrnassius wrote:
I like the idea of a gold or trimmed item for those that had it before. It gives those of us who didn't have the opportunity to get them a chance to have them and still recognizes those who did the event at the time.

How about either in lieu of or in addition to, give the veterans a cosmetic override of the item and other players can just buy the item. That way veterans can wear the item anywhere and not be penalized in their combat effectiveness but new people can't.
Or perhaps give veterans the ability to customize the colors of items but new players can only use preset base colors?

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 7:25 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Jasonmrc wrote:
No, it's a terrible idea. It devalues veterans even more. I just hope they do something so that the veterans still have something for their years of loyalty.

Jagex doesn't seem to give a single **** about their veteran players, they only care about the people who give them money as evidenced by only billing support actually replying to tickets. The other tickets/support requests just disappear into a black hole.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Jasonmrc wrote:
No, it's a terrible idea. It devalues veterans even more. No offence meant, but why should you be allowed to get my Yoyo or Santa costume? You weren't there in 2004 and 2008. Holiday items are one of the extreme few things that real veterans have that can't be purchased with any sort of currency. They are bought with time and that should be the only thing that can earn them.

9 times out of 10, I would agree with you on "veteran devaluation." I'm a veteran myself having played since about 2005. But this particular idea is not as big an issue as say for example zero recognition of people who got 99s before a skill changed and got "easier" (Runespan *cough cough*).

While I understand your point, I feel that it's still being fussy (not you, just the argument) over nothing. I mean, a holiday item is a holiday item. It should be fun and something everyone can enjoy, not something to indicate veteran status. Many games do this, but I don't see the rationale. Is it really going to **** off the majority of veterans if this is implemented? I don't think so. Now, if they were going to make it possible to obtain holiday rares again, that would be something to get upset about. But we are talking about untradeable items for fun times of the year.

Honestly, how often do you see holiday items in game anymore? With more veterans who quit that were there when the item was available, you see fewer and fewer people use the item anywhere in RS. Most the time, you won't even know who has what item since no one ever uses them. And this is a beef I have with real life collectors, too. Why just get an item or collect something if you are never going to use it or show it off? I'd be much happier if other people were allowed to have these holiday items and use them then a bunch of stingy veterans complain about something they never even think about until now.

One last thing to consider. During the Cryptic Clue Fest, Jagex allowed people who hadn't been at previous fests to obtain previous parts of the outfit if they completed the current fests goals. This was a relief to me as I had missed one of the previous events, but still wanted to get the outfit. Personally, I would like to see this approach. Let people collect items from previous holidays by participating in the current one. Runescape is about having fun, not about how long you've played.

RSBandB Member #517
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2014, 8:03 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Arrkain
Clan Name: Overloaded XP
I agree that this is a very touchy subject being a 2004 vet myself. I originally thought that this would be a good idea, but after some thought I think it would be a better idea to make past events available to complete free of charge.

However, I think it's only fair for you to replay events that were released after your account was created. This would not compromise any veterans and would allow players to catch up on events and rewards they missed. So I would not be able to obtain a scythe or rabbit ears etc. And players that started in 2013 would not be able to obtain marionettes, hats, scarves etc. There have been a few instances where I have been out of town for a couple weeks and unable to complete the events. This also eliminates any 'gold trimmed' items or special versions.

I apologize if this has already been suggested here, but that's my two cents.

| Combat - 138 | Total - 2695+ | Overall XP - 612m+ |
| RuneWire | My Twitter | My YouTube | My Twitch |
~17,365th to Max
51515 -> 22216
Image Image

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 9:41 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Davo wrote:
I agree that this is a very touchy subject being a 2004 vet myself. I originally thought that this would be a good idea, but after some thought I think it would be a better idea to make past events available to complete free of charge.

However, I think it's only fair for you to replay events that were released after your account was created. This would not compromise any veterans and would allow players to catch up on events and rewards they missed. So I would not be able to obtain a scythe or rabbit ears etc. And players that started in 2013 would not be able to obtain marionettes, hats, scarves etc. There have been a few instances where I have been out of town for a couple weeks and unable to complete the events. This also eliminates any 'gold trimmed' items or special versions.

After reading all the opinions on this topic, I tend to agree with Davo's suggestion. My account was created just after the 2006 Easter Event. I didn't know too much about the game, but did participate in the 2006 Hallowe'en event and got the Jack o'lantern mask & Skeleton Set. Unfortunately, I was unable to participate in the Christmas event and therefore missed the Wintumber Tree. I would so much like to run through that 2006 holiday event to get the Wintumber tree, but would not expect to be eligible to run through the Easter Event before my account was created. I think Davo's idea is a great one.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 1:55 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
Davo wrote:

I completely agree with this and I'm pretty much in the same boat as Uncle Dano. Quite possibly one of my biggest regrets in RS was not doing the '05 Christmas event. I had an account, I could have done it, but I was just to young and lazy to bother doing it, I was very new to the game and did not see much point in doing it. Was also completely unaware of the Wintumber tree, and I only found out about it years later. I wasn't a member for quite some time, but it's a shame I did complete the '06 event but did not get the tree just because I was F2P. I think this is the only thing I could strongly agree on in terms of getting old holiday items, the current system I disagree on and I'm not sure if I agree much more on allowing everyone to do the old events. What's worse, allowing everyone to get the old items or restricting it to members who have poured money into the game (just one more reason and an absurd benefit of getting membership and to get Jagex their money)?

And that my friends, was my 300th post, welcome to the runite member club for me I guess! :D

ImageImage

Last edited by Estor on February 24th, 2014, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 4:22 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
Uncle Dano wrote:
Davo wrote:

After reading all the opinions on this topic, I tend to agree with Davo's suggestion. My account was created just after the 2006 Easter Event. I didn't know too much about the game, but did participate in the 2006 Hallowe'en event and got the Jack o'lantern mask & Skeleton Set. Unfortunately, I was unable to participate in the Christmas event and therefore missed the Wintumber Tree. I would so much like to run through that 2006 holiday event to get the Wintumber tree, but would not expect to be eligible to run through the Easter Event before my account was created. I think Davo's idea is a great one.

I agree with this sentiment. It's fine to be allowed to redo events that the player *could* have done.

If they allow new people to get old holiday items then:
They must do the event like normal, just how we did,
Neither coins, nor RC, nor THK, nor RL cash should have anything to do with it,
And you can only do events up to your career's length in the past.

What I mean by the last one is this: A player started in 2010, they've been here for 4 years so far(well, technically probably 3.5). They can do events back to 2006.

And Duke, no, there probably wouldn't be huge backlash by veterans. Partly because, as you said, there are less and less veterans. Holiday items are one of the few exclusives that you get based on how long you've played, not your RS worth nor your RL checkbook. They are purchased only with time.

Think of it like this: Would a guy with a party hat be happy if Jagex gave free non-tradeable or cosmetic only party hats to every player, that looked identical?
No, there would be extreme outrage. This is the exact same thing except instead of shafting that guys cash worth your shafting every veteran's time. How is cash worth more than time in something like this? There's an old saying, "Time is Money." How is that not true here? What makes new player's wants worth more than a veteran's years of loyalty?

And if the items are just items, why do new people need them? The same argument used to let new people get them is just as valid to not let them get them. Why spend the Dev time on giving worthless items to players who for the most part won't care?

Does anyone remember what the results of that poll were? I think holiday items for all won so it doesn't really matter anyway :cry:

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 10:23 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

I could settle for Davo's idea. But I still don't see the big fuss, Jason.

This isn't even close to your analogy. It takes 1 hour tops (if that) to complete a holiday event and get an item. It's not a huge commitment at all compared to obtaining a party hat which takes way longer to obtain. We're talking arguable 1000x longer. A holiday item is like a candid "been there, done that" whereas getting a party hat is like "omg, finally all those months/years I put in building my wealth have paid off!"

True, while time is time no matter what, the amount of time it takes to achieve or obtain something gives it lesser or equal value. If it only takes an hour to get a holiday item, how valuable is that? No, really the value is in the fact that you have the item years after the fact. But then all we are really saying is a holiday item is merely a milestone marker. An indication of "time traveled" as it were. But as I mentioned before, how often do we ever see holiday items? Maybe once in a while around holidays. But otherwise (and honestly) never.

Holiday events require nothing to complete other than a little bit of time. There's no need to have a certain skill level or certain amount of money. Just a tiny spec of time. That amount of time doesn't even amount to 50k experience or 50k gold in free-to-play.

Point is, the argument can't be made that a holiday item is that valuable in itself. All it shows is that you've been around a while (if you even show people you have said item) and that you took the time to participate in the event.

It just seems such an insignificant bone of contention in my mind. xD

RSBandB Member #517

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 12:58 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
I agree old holidays aren't much of a commitment (as the events are short), and are really just milestone markers, but that's the beauty of it for me. I don't consider them worth anything in xp, gp, whatever, but they have some sort of sentimental value. Aside from maybe selling an account because of old rares, they are untradeable and have no value. That's the point, no monetary value, just little restricted outfits that look cool and say "Hey, I'm a veteran". It's crushing to just see these being sold in exchange for money (not directly but you get my point, bonus points given for paying for membership) after all these years, I say shame on Jagex. I was too lazy, young and stupid to bother doing the '05 xmas event, and I joined too late to even get the chance at a yo-yo, scythe etc, but you know what? You snooze you lose. I'm willing to accept the fact that I can't get those and I screwed up, I'm willing to accept missing out on these few items. Meanwhile, everyone else can just buyout everything, not just the stuff I missed, but all the stuff I, and thousands of others earned fairly. I think it's degrading really. Even knowing that I myself could get my 05 stuff I missed out on, my Wintumber tree from '06, and every other thing I joined too late to get my hands on, I'm still completely against the idea. A lot more loss than gain for any veterans, no gain if you got everything from the bunny ears-up.

And when you say that we never see them anyways, then why does everybody else need them so bad? We've already heard blabble about how Jagex mistreats it's veteran players and I don't plan on repeating much of it but this is one of the last things veteran players have exclusively, why not just leave it and keep things the same? We earned it, they didn't. And again with having no monetary value but sentimental value, these items mean a lot more to the vets than it does to new players.

I haven't been following updates that closely since I quit but I am well aware of the Jagex "power to the players" bull. What were the results and the options? Right now it just sounds like it was give it to everybody or to members, but no "keep stuff the same". Biggest problem is that the game has changed so much that a lot of the verterans are gone, and these new players outweigh and have more power than them, so of course they want the old items and of course we get screwed. Seems like this defeats the purpose of the holiday events altogether

I say the reasons against this strongly outweigh the ones for, but I guess that's Jagex for you. It's actually very depressing to see the game turn out like this and I'm shocked it's continued to get so much worse. Guess I'm "glad" I got out of the game when I did. I guess this is Jagex saying "Yeah we gave you old school, so that gives us permission to be ***** again".

ImageImage

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 8:09 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
When I saw the poll I became physically sick even before seeing the results because I already knew what they were going to be.
I have always loved wearing my Tri-Jester hat during the winter, over the years many, many people asked me where I got it.

X-Mas 2005 event.

I always feel special that I am able to have it and a huge chunk of people can't.

How cynical does that make me for feeling proud and tingly? Also a bit hypocritical because unfortunately when this becomes a thing, I want to buy the bunny ears.
ONLY because it will be implemented, I voted no and would vote no again.