Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Serious server issues for Jagex
PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 8:14 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
RS Status: P2P
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone is getting frustrated by all the server issues we have experienced lately. I am about ready to quit RS after the latest debacle. I had lost a few barrows armour sets in the last couple of weeks at GWD because of lag and disconnections, so decided to stay away from there until things have been sorted out. Still wanting to do PVM, i decided to play it safe and go to QBD, since your gear appears right outside in the grotworm dungeon and there is no problem in getting back within the 15 minutes my gravestone allows. So, geared up with full tetsu, drygores etc, i went there and after my 7th or 8th kill, the server crashed and disconnected me. No big issue... normally. The problem this time however, was that I could not log back in. The login screen kept telling i was not disconnected from my previous session and to try again in a few minutes. I finally got back on after repeated attempts 25 minutes later and of course my grave was gone and all my gear with it.

Does anyone else think that it is time for Jagex to stop with all these SOF and SGS updates and fix the actual servers? I for one would be happy if they announced we would have a month with no updates while they worked on getting the game up to the standard it should be for the amount of players it has and the revenue they collect. Perhaps its time to look at changing the gravestone mechanics so that the timer only counts down while you are actually logged into the game and not while you are disconnected.

I don't know what the answer is, but they are quickly losing me as a supporter. While I haven't always agreed with everything they have done, I have always respected Jagex and continued enjoying the game. After tonight, however, I am not sure I even want to log into it again... my frustration is just that great. Perhaps I will feel differently in the morning, but it really has to change.

Anyway, enough ranting now,I am off to bed. I hope everyone continues enjoying themselves on Geilinor.

Happy Runescaping all!!

Pyrn

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 8:14 am 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: Serious server issues for Jagex
PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 10:36 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Eon
I agree that the gravestone mechanics should be changed. I like the idea of only counting down whilst you are logged in, because basically the only reason people die nowadays is to lag or disconnections.

Did you hear about that whole debacle with Vorago? People lost their entire banks because of it, and I feel like that is something that should have been prevented in testing...

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 10:49 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Their servers already had enough issues with running the pre-eoc game, introducing eoc just compounded the problem. Wonder what is going to happen when RS3 is released, maybe they will have to spend some of their dirty sof money upgrading the servers.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 2:26 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
First off I'm sorry that happened to your barrows sets.

Secondly, this is the reason I don't do PvM fights. It doesn't make sense in 2013 to have a game running at 6 ticks per second when most games run at 100+. For anyone who doesn't know what this means it simply is a measurement of the amount of calculations or actions that the game executes per second. This slow tick rate combined with having to wait for a server response prior to doing almost anything isn't worth the hassle for me. Normally my connection is good but even if it goes bad for a little bit it's extremely noticeable.

From my understanding in order for this to be changed the game would need to undergo a massive rework at the engine level. This probably isn't something Jagex wants to attempt at this stage while attempting to get the 6th age up and running. Also it's likely that odd bugs would be introduced in this process which as anyone who knows who's been around for a while that engine bugs on RS can be really absurd. Remember sudden death syndrome after construction?

Also moving people from the crew who does Squeal and Solomon likely wouldn't help. The types of people who maintain servers and maintain the engine would be different types of programmers compared to those who work on front facing things.

I hope your connection improves so you can play on a server that is more stable for your Runescape needs.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 10:37 pm 
Runite Member

Shane wrote:
It doesn't make sense in 2013 to have a game running at 6 ticks per second when most games run at 100+. This slow tick rate combined with having to wait for a server response prior to doing almost anything isn't worth the hassle for me. Normally my connection is good but even if it goes bad for a little bit it's extremely noticeable.

This is a HUGE problem I have noticed while pking, the ticks are far too slow for EOC to work properly. Half of the time when I try to eat the server takes far too long to register the click and I just die. Before EOC it wasn't a huge problem because people weren't spamming abilities hardcore and eating food every half second but now it is very noticeable and a big problem. Just another reason why they shouldn't have pushed EOC so hard, the underlying game can't handle it properly.

Shane wrote:
Also moving people from the crew who does Squeal and Solomon likely wouldn't help. The types of people who maintain servers and maintain the engine would be different types of programmers compared to those who work on front facing things.

I didn't mean take people from the SOF and Solomon team to work on fixing the servers, I meant that maybe they should take some of their profits from those and actually upgrade the infrastructure because the servers seem completely unable to handle the game even though the servers aren't anywhere near full.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 3:07 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I'd be glad if Jagex took time off content development to deal with the engine and server issues. Will they? Likely not. But with Runescape 3 coming out, maybe they'll address it more than they currently do.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 3:07 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 8:07 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: blethorskite
Clan Name: Fealty Stars
As these issues keep cropping up, always have, and they are likely to do so again I would think it's simply time to get rid of the gravestone system altogether other than a marker of someone having recently died. All items should be kept on death other than in wilderness areas. Seems the simplest of solutions.

As for the tick rate. It is too slow but without the problem of disconnecting you can accept, if not like, this and work around it. It does reduce the fun though.

SOF staff wouldn't, as people have already mentioned, be any use in sorting out the current ongoing problems. On the other hand if we didn't have so many recently hired staff working on stuff like the SOF then we could have this as a less invasive and overbearing part of the game and not dominating much of it as it does now. Seems we simply get more SOF to support the very same staff hired to work on it.

Ah, well, rant over. Will have a go logging in to RS. Do hope they keep it offline long enough to try and fix things long term.

ImageImage

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 9:13 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
Duke Juker wrote:
I'd be glad if Jagex took time off content development to deal with the engine and server issues. Will they? Likely not. But with Runescape 3 coming out, maybe they'll address it more than they currently do.

Players will say this about any online game with technical issues. The company behind them rarely addresses these issues.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 10:29 am 
Runite Member

But we can hope things are sorted for RS3.

ImageImage

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 1:13 pm 
Runite Member

blethorskite wrote:
But we can hope things are sorted for RS3.

They will probably be dealing with HTML5 FPS performance issues when RS3 is released since it seems they are pushing it wayyy too fast and I've seen a lot of people complaining about awful framerates.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2013, 2:47 am 
Runite Member

In all honesty I think it will be a fiasco as usual but we can hope it turns out otherwise.

ImageImage

PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 8:17 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Varunky
Clan Name: RuneHQ
I too have had issues with server stuff, as well as the occasional black screen.

On the tombstone topic.... I'm old school on this, but I think you should drop all but 3 items @ death. But, since we're not going back to that anytime soon, I think the timer should keep going even when you log off. I also think there shouldn't be such long times on a lot of these tombstones, but that's just me.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2013, 10:54 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: Qwc
Clan Name: Casually Addicted
I haven't actually had any black screens since rs3 came out, but i went to gwd today and i had major lag just getting my kill count. I was getting like 2 fps and it was horrible. It got better once i got into the boss room but other than that it was pretty bad. Hopefully jagex can actually fix their game.