Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bonus XP Weekends
PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 5:33 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
RS Status: P2P
With this week's Bonus XP Weekend fast approaching, I tried to buy 500 swamp lizards for the remaining crimson charms I have in my bank. I was shocked to see that they had tripled in price, from around 1200-1300 gp to over 3.5K each. So, I decided to go hunt them myself as I had done a few months ago. On 6 different worlds, I found bots catching them, so I decided to make a game of it and play "beat the bot", where i raced them to the spot after they collected their nets and set up before them. It did make hunting that little more interesting. My question to everyone is this: Should Jagex withhold announcing bonus weekends until the Wednesday before when they do their usual updates, or do you like having 2-3 weeks notice on it?
I far prefer bonus xp to be done in this fashion, rather than the promissory notes we recently received for the sizzling summer. This way, you still have to do something to earn it other than opening a note, clicking a lamp and selecting the skill you want the xp in. The game is about player involvement and doing tasks to gain your xp, not having it handed to you on a silver platter.

I would love to hear everyone else's feedback on this subject. As I write this, I have just "won" another SOF ticket doing a slayer task. Will I win another lamp for free xp?? Let me know what you think.

Happy Runescaping
Pyrn

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 5:33 am 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: Bonus XP Weekends
PostPosted: October 27th, 2012, 8:51 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
i like having a 2 week notice. if they announce it right before, there would be chaos.

i like having a short notice time, besides most people start saving up for the stuff months in advance and it just lets people know to get ready.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2012, 11:30 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
Yeah they definitely need to tell us in advance. I also agree that we need to get the xp not get it server on a silver platter. Now I'm writing this during the BXPW because I got kicked #nothingwrongwithnolifing. Before I got kicked I almost got 1M xp (62-74 Construction).

ImageImage

PostPosted: October 27th, 2012, 3:42 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
I think having a shorter notice would force players to plan way ahead of time. I think this would be a good thing. Too much notice I don't think is good. I do like surprises!

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: October 27th, 2012, 3:59 pm 

I believe a 2 week notice is fine. it's short enough that it doesn't make people go super crazy but long enough for people to actually get what they want.

and dano, i'm sure my old chinese opera wasn't the surprise you wanted :P

PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 1:12 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: TheLion
I'd like to see one of them with no notice, like shane has suggested before. You just log on and find out its bonus xp day.

I didn't hardly do any prep work for bonus xp and still managed over 3 million xp total on saturday. Just used the supplies I already had built up in bank. The only bit of "prep work" i did was potting some herbs, and doing some temple trekking to get talon beast charms and torstol's.

I

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 1:12 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 3:15 am 
Chat Moderator

Good to know. It's just frustrating knowing that the botting sites are going to make such a profit from this weekend. Jagex keeps telling us they are getting rid of them, but as soon as the announcement of the bonus weekend was done, all the normal areas were inundated with bots again. With prices almost tripling on some supplies, I hope that the legitimate players made some profit too, not just the gold sites.

Lol, i got scammed on the SKOTM.. spent the majority of my charms right at the beginning, then get the announcement afterward that the bonus weekend was coming. Now winning or losing the competition is no real issue, what sucks is all that extra summoning xp i lost!! Its an expensive skill and time consuming since you have to gather all those charms. Ah, well.. at least i hit my target of level 88.

Hope you all level up quickly.

Pyrn

PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 3:04 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Guppee
Clan Name: Sovereign Order
Also got scammed with SKOTM, used all my charms right before bonus xp was announced. Then I spent the rest of the month camping waterfiends to get charms, so much time lost when I could have been doing agility :( I guess the luck I got with two effigies made my time a little more worth it. Second place will have to do this time around.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 2:58 am 
Chat Moderator

Well, just think Fish... 2nd place isn't bad and you can get double agility once you finish the extra charms you get. I am just happy to get my summoning to 90. It was an interesting month and just think how happy Shane will be on the Podcast with the last minute run by everyone. He does love the competition being close and leads changing at the end ;)

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 12:22 pm 

we were talking about it early.

there were words that were exchanged that cannot be repeat on radio.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 3:49 pm 
Steel Member

I'm not at all disappointed with my bonus experience weekend :D 85-89 summoning, picking up that unicorn finally and i gained 7 agility levels. Plus I passed Earth on the forum highscores. Winning all around!

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 4:38 am 
Chat Moderator

Lol, congrats Fish Fish. I, too was pretty happy to finally get the unicorn summoning level. However, i stupidly thought it operated like the bunyip and just healed automatically. The first time I summoned one, I didnt have any scrolls and then wondered why I wasn't healing. Luckily, I was concentrating on the game and not watching youtube as I played like I sometimes do. All round, it was a good weekend other than the annoyance of the reappearance of so many bots.

And Trekie... tell us what Shane said.. you can repeat it!!!

Have fun in all you do
Pyrn

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 4:26 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Touchpad Pro
Clan Name: Tmoa
I'd prefer if they just stopped making bonus xp weekends. If they do keep making them, I don't think you can really prevent the price for buyable supplies to skyrocket.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 3:59 am 
Steel Member

Maybe they could do double xp just for non-buyables? Just a thought, buyables are fast enough anyway.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 12:10 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Mas841
The humor of the situation is that people will pay three times the price just for twice the XP.