Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Your view on giving accounts away when quiting?
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 2:35 pm 
Runite Member

RS Status: P2P
Well I'm posting this because one of my real life friends was quitting and gave their account to their sister. I know it's against the rules to share accounts, but could she get banned for having his account?

This is just for discussion about your thoughts,

personally I think that if you quit and give your account to a family member, it should be ok.

I don't see the harm in doing so,

Your ideas?

Yeah I understand the not doing work part and I think that if you did this it should be a low leveled account

Last edited by Sidespin on December 6th, 2007, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 2:35 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 3:02 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
She can and i disagree with it.

This game takes so much dedication and time to do well in, it's not right to take an easy way out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 3:03 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Eynx
Clan Name: Pierce The Sky
Well This is account sharing but my thoughts are these. If the account was powerful and had high skills I would call it dangerous and not safe. If it was a low level account and low skills I'd say its ok because not that much time was put into it.

(Low Level = Level 3-50; Skills 33-200)

-Zac

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 3:04 pm 
Runite Member

Yeah I understand what you mean

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 3:15 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: colin playle
I'm personally fine with it if the account was new and wasn't high leveled.

It's funny because this happened to me. My brother gave me my account but it was around level 15 so I can't see myself getting a huge head start on other people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 11:09 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Status: Classic
I think this is a horrible idea. With Runescape...90 percent of the time you come back. Then you have to ask that person to give up the account and all hell breaks loose.

I have a friend who gave his account to a "family" member and then came back to the game. The family member had account shared and so my friend had to fight off multiple people for the account back and has had all his stuff stolen multiple times.

It is a terrible idea and I would never recommend it. Just remember your account represents the work you have put into it. At worst you can leave that work just stacked up sitting. If you give it away and want it back later there are not guarantees.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 11:09 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 11:42 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tjbartz_2009
I see it in two ways:

1. [Good] If you know that you are not going to come back to the game and you put so much time and effort into something that you don't want to go to waste why let it just rot and sit there? You could give it away to a friend if you trust them enough not to make stupid moves and get it banned or something ridiculous of that nature.

2. [Bad] Jagex has gotten more extreme on their rules and who knows what your friends will say when they get an account that has something behind it. Like small Fame or just the people that you used to talk to on your friends list. They might say the wrong thing and then get your account banned. Also why would you give a friend an account that they hadn't worked at all for. While you put so much time and effort into your own account then you just give it away like it was nothing. They will gain nothing from getting it and will just show boat because they just got a new account that is way better than theirs and possibly do stupid thing mentioned before.
----------------------------------
Personally I would never give my account away for two main reasons. People in the world are stupid and when they have something that isn't theirs and it has someone else's sentimental value in it they don't care they just do whatever with it and ignore anything you told them not to do. Its like betraying your friend. Also my Runescape account is my Real Name, the only thing that I might get outta the situation would be Identity theft haha. But that really wouldn't work. I dont want someone else going around RS saying they are Todd Rogers when their real name is Joe Schmo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 11:42 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Arrkain
Clan Name: Overloaded XP
i agree that u shou8ld be able to give it to a family member but what i dont get is ppl that like drop and give away everything when they quit!!!

one time i wasnt really interested in the game that much anymore and took a long break (like 6 months) thought i was gonna quit but never gave any of my stuff away cuz if i ever had the thought of coming back then id still have all my stuff.

i just dont get this mindset of some ppl. they pretty much have to start from sq 1 if they ever decide to come back and play for while longer. :?

Just my thoughts tho...

| Combat - 138 | Total - 2695+ | Overall XP - 612m+ |
| RuneWire | My Twitter | My YouTube | My Twitch |
~17,365th to Max
51515 -> 22216
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 1:39 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Coberis
I'm not sure if how I feel about it being legal or not, but even if it was, I would frown upon it. If I was a first time player of Runescape and started off with a semi-high leveled account, I think it would ruin the game for me, and I would probably get bored pretty quickly. Training my skills to the levels I want is more fun than actually having them, for me at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 4:21 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
I think it's stupid that anyone would want to accept the account from the person who's quitting anyway. I've become so attached to my Chief Snake that I wouldn't give him up for any other character, whether that would be legal or not. To be honest it's not the unfair advantage I'd be worried about if other people were doing it, but it's like cheating in an exam - you're only cheating yourself.

That's generally the kind of person I am though... Whether it's legal or not in other games to share accounts or items or anything, I wouldn't do it. I'm too protective of what's mine - somewhat selfish I guess. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 5:00 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Chief Snake wrote:
I think it's stupid that anyone would want to accept the account from the person who's quitting anyway. I've become so attached to my Chief Snake that I wouldn't give him up for any other character, whether that would be legal or not. To be honest it's not the unfair advantage I'd be worried about if other people were doing it, but it's like cheating in an exam - you're only cheating yourself.

That's generally the kind of person I am though... Whether it's legal or not in other games to share accounts or items or anything, I wouldn't do it. I'm too protective of what's mine - somewhat selfish I guess. :P

High five...I couldn't have said it better myself. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 9:30 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: specter98
Clan Name: Ex-Anarchist
basicly, if you give account away no matter what lvl it should be banned, its breaking the rules and in the rule book it doesnt say, only if its above so and so lvl it will get banned

it says all account trading/sharing is a bannable offence

so as the rules state, ban it O.o

and ive been banned for this before too, specter99 got banned, fell for a membership scam so yea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 1:00 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Big Karliny
I would never give away me acount never... I'll rather let it root but i wont let anyone to have it The main reason is that i got 99 ranged from 1 to 99 at f2p and i put in to much of me eforts and dedication to it i dont whant that somebody make it melee or somthing els. A lil fame i earned i whant to keep it for meself as one of last true rangers of runescape...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 1:08 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sparty Pants
There's no point. You probably won't get the satisfaction once you achieve something major if you finish the last 10% of it...

Do it all yourself. I know I'd be more proud of myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 1:13 pm 
BANNED

If giving your account away seems alright it's in a way, justifying account selling.

If someone wants an account they can just make their own.

And if someone wants to quit then just keep the account. Most people come back anyway. :/