Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 12:42 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Ryan V 09
RS Status: Classic
It mainly depends on how they set it up. If they set it up like the the auction house in wow, then I have a feeling the value of things will drop. Sellers will always be trying to out-do other sellers by lowering their prices 1gp at a time.

But what did such a Teuton afterwards look like when he had been "improved" and led into a monastery? Like a caricature of a human being, like an abortion: he had become a "sinner," he was in a cage, one had imprisoned him behind nothing but sheer terrifying concepts... There he lay now, sick, miserable, filled with ill-will towards himself; full of hatred for the impulses toward life, full of suspicion of all that was still strong and happy. In short, a "Christian"... - Twighlight of the Idols

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 12:42 am 
Dragon Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 9:33 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: merlin6and17
RS Status: P2P
There will be no "crash", things will move along as before. We will see adjustments (albeit some may be drastic at first) in prices of some things, but the markets will end up evening out and dictating prices, much the same as since man discovered bartering.

Personally, I will relish being able to unload moutains of valuables I cant stand selling on a street corner in downtown Runescape :lol:

Ever heard of chicken little? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 12:54 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

merlin6and17 wrote:
There will be no "crash", things will move along as before. We will see adjustments (albeit some may be drastic at first) in prices of some things, but the markets will end up evening out and dictating prices, much the same as since man discovered bartering.

Personally, I will relish being able to unload moutains of valuables I cant stand selling on a street corner in downtown Runescape :lol:

Ever heard of chicken little? :wink:

You can guarantee there will be no "crash"? That seems rather haughty.

I'm not event sure this has ever been tried before. Implementing a free market economy in the middle (really the late middle) of a games life cycle. Plus, on top of that runescape, as we all know is very prone to macroers. Other games like Everquest II and Diablo 2 have had crashes...why is Runescape exempt...

I can't tell you the future, but implementing a system like this mid game play has many challenges to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 1:24 pm 
Iron Member

RS Name: Arieder
Clan Name: RuneAddict
I'm not totally sure what will happen, I think that world 2 will lose some popularity (not all because I still think most people will still use it). However I think some prices may drop since its much easier to find items at lower prices, say you just want to get rid of the item, you put it in the grand exchange and boom, its gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 1:50 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Braaron58
Clan Name: Ancient Guardians
whitedragon wrote:
Its a pretty good idea to since you don't have to world hop from one place to another anymore.

Haha. Yeah, no more, "My world, or yours?"

Snorlax pwns all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 5:05 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: nicong
It may help to reduce merchanting & scamming. I personally like it as it s hard to get into world 2

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 5:05 pm 
Adamantite Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 10:37 am 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
I don't exactly think that prices or the economy will immediately change. Instead, I think that it would simply make each change that does happen over time more dynamic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 11:17 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Big Karliny
Well in me opinion prices shouldn't drop unless ppl starts seling stuff in low prices ect othervise it will be like trade w just u wont need to try like hour to log there :)

edit: oh mith member heh(what a big achievment)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 2:56 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
I cant wait. this is going to be a great addition to RuneScape. the game can now be focused on playing it other then watching 50 ppl yelling things they are selling

10/10 if done right

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 2:56 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Alex 43 wrote:
I don't exactly think that prices or the economy will immediately change. Instead, I think that it would simply make each change that does happen over time more dynamic.

So what you are saying is prices are going to change very quickly.

If each change is more dynamic we have to take into account the volume of trades in a day. For runescape that is 100,000s maybe millions. So if the trades make the changes more dynamic, and access is increased by making the system universal...you are going to get a system that changes very quickly...

It isn't like people are going to trade less with the great exchange...so how do you get that there will not be an immediate change...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 11:58 am 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
Christopher wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:

If each change is more dynamic we have to take into account the volume of trades in a day. For runescape that is 100,000s maybe millions. So if the trades make the changes more dynamic, and access is increased by making the system universal...you are going to get a system that changes very quickly...

It isn't like people are going to trade less with the great exchange...so how do you get that there will not be an immediate change...

You really like contradicting me, don't you?

The Great Exchange will allow people to trade more conveniently. Yes, that means that the prices won't change because items maintain their rarity, it's just easier to buy them.

Should a price change, or a number of people decide to sell it for more, it will be more instantly known, as everyone will have the same access to such prices as compared to being on other trade worlds where the prices are maintained at the same value. Hence, more dynamic and instant changes instead of gradual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 1:49 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: r3dmayne
Clan Name: I iz a free agent lolz :D
Alex 43 wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:

The Great Exchange will allow people to trade more conveniently. Yes, that means that the prices won't change because items maintain their rarity, it's just easier to buy them.

Although all items retain their rarity, macroers will be able to sell them much faster allowing them to sell more, causing deflation because of the mass quantity circulating in runescape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 4:23 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

whitedragon wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:

Although all items retain their rarity, macroers will be able to sell them much faster allowing them to sell more, causing deflation because of the mass quantity circulating in runescape.

You can't fight economics, oh and yes, I like to point out contradictions that people make...especially when they make them with themselves. If each individual trade is more dynamic, then price fluctuation or prices on a whole will be more dynamic, esp...if accessibility is increased.

The problem here is that before, each world was its own market. And each market was insulated, somewhat to the other market. In essence every world was separated from every other world, monetarily. Now, all trades will be in one market. This inherently increases the instability in a market in the fact that there are simply more trades going on and one person can undercut everybody else. Thus with more trades in a market the movement of materials, not only is more convenient, but the reason it is so is because the accessibility to those trade materials, or the volume of items has increased within a that market. I can't see how we will not see greater fluctuation. It is a law of economics. More trades, greater volume = greater volatility. All trades are now measured directly against one another all the time. There is no insulation. The only way you can prevent this is by price fixing or regulations, and I have only very rarely seen Jagex implement trade restrictions.

Basically, what I am saying is that if each trade is more dynamic the system as a whole is inherently more dynamic and visa versa. That is without the increase in accessibility and volume taken into account which just magnifies the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 6:43 pm 
Adamantite Member

whitedragon wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:

But macroers/bots dont have many high value items, only fast moving items (yew logs, coal, etc). This will only be a blip in the grand scheme.

Again, "Chicken Little" syndrome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 6:45 pm 
Adamantite Member

Christopher wrote:
whitedragon wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Alex 43 wrote:

You can't fight economics, oh and yes, I like to point out contradictions that people make...especially when they make them with themselves. If each individual trade is more dynamic, then price fluctuation or prices on a whole will be more dynamic, esp...if accessibility is increased.

The problem here is that before, each world was its own market. And each market was insulated, somewhat to the other market. In essence every world was separated from every other world, monetarily. Now, all trades will be in one market. This inherently increases the instability in a market in the fact that there are simply more trades going on and one person can undercut everybody else. Thus with more trades in a market the movement of materials, not only is more convenient, but the reason it is so is because the accessibility to those trade materials, or the volume of items has increased within a that market. I can't see how we will not see greater fluctuation. It is a law of economics. More trades, greater volume = greater volatility. All trades are now measured directly against one another all the time. There is no insulation. The only way you can prevent this is by price fixing or regulations, and I have only very rarely seen Jagex implement trade restrictions.

Basically, what I am saying is that if each trade is more dynamic the system as a whole is inherently more dynamic and visa versa. That is without the increase in accessibility and volume taken into account which just magnifies the problem.

What an alarmist attitude. Yes, prices will truely reflect a "global" price list. So what? It will even out, and wont change dramatically from what one can find now, word to world.

Prove me wrong. :wink: